Menu

First Language Lessons, pronouns, 2nd grade....should she remember the list?

ChristusG

We're working on the pronoun chapters of FLL level 1. It goes over 4 different lists of pronouns:

1. I, me, my, mine, you, your, yours

2. He, she, him, her, it, his, hers, its

3. We, us, our, ours

4. They, them, their, theirs

My 7 year old DD in 2nd grade has the first list memorized. She's getting stuck on the second list (and honestly, so am I LOL). I don't think the 3rd and 4th lists should be any problem.

Should I expect her to completely memorize them all before moving on to the next chapter? Or should I just view this as an introduction to them and she will learn more about them in later grades?

Level 1 specifically says that you do not need to memorize them; we did anyway and I'm glad ds did because he has no problems identifying pronouns at all. IMHO, I would say yes, review them until they are memorized. They are covered a lot in FLL 1 too so FLL 2 is probably treating the lists as a review.

Review is the benefit of a well-structured grammar sequence. FLL has plenty of review built in. If you follow-through you'll see the lists through FLL 3. We'll start level 4 in a few weeks but I'd assume we'll continue to see them.

Keep going.

We are in FLL level 3 and still don't have the list 100% memorized yet. Just yesterday she missed "we". To be honest, she really knows what a pronoun is, so I'm not worried. Now, to tackle that Preposition list! That has been handy though. Does it pop up again in FLL 3 and 4?

We are in FLL level 3 and still don't have the list 100% memorized yet. Just yesterday she missed "we". To be honest, she really knows what a pronoun is, so I'm not worried. Now, to tackle that Preposition list! That has been handy though. Does it pop up again in FLL 3 and 4?

We are working through level 3 now and the lists to be memorized in the back are:

Pronouns

Helping Verbs

State of Being Verbs

Linking Verbs

Prepositions

Articles

Common Conjunctions

I agree with the others - don't worry about it, move on and there will be review later. In addition, once she conceptually understands what a pronoun is, she will have no problem picking out pronouns whether she has memorized that list or not. I never had to memorize pronouns, and I never had any difficulty recognizing them.

One word of caution on that list: I actually *don't* want my 6 year-old (who is exactly at that point in FLL) to memorize this list, because I would quibble with it. I agree with MCT that "my" is NOT a pronoun, but a possessive adjective. A pronoun replaces a noun. "My" replaces "Jennifer's," not "Jennifer". In the phrase "my cat," for example, "my" modifies cat, so it is a possessive adjective.