Menu

For those of you who do not think TT is a strong math program

ETA: Title is supposed to say For those of you who do NOT think TT is a strong math program

Do you think it would be if the child was placed correctly? Are you basing that on grade level or the program in general?

I am thinking about putting my dd who is starting 4th grade in it after we finish Horizons Math 4 book 1. We are doing Key to Fractions, Decimals and percents as well. When we finish Horizons Math book 1 I am going to give her the placement test, right now she is placing at the 6th grade book, just struggling a bit with fractions and decimals (she has not covered that in depth though only going through Horizons 3rd grade) so that is why we are doing the Key to. SO if she were to place in TT 6 or 7 (7 may be to much but I am just guessing) would it be a decent program?

Do you think its weak because kids are not being placed correctly to give them the challenge they need?

I do know that there are some who use it on grade level- I do not want to debate that. I just don't want to do dd a disservice. She understands math and does well. I have so much teacher intensive curriculum already I NEED something that I can say go do __________ . Based on what she see's in the demo's she would LOVE TT. I just want her to do well, KWIM?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04
mistake in title

It didn't seem thorough or challenging enough. Dd did it for a month and we sent it back. It felt very remedial and based on the scope and sequence of higher levels, it seems to stay that way.

What grade did you use it for? What grade was your dc in? Did you have your child placed correctly by placement test or by grade level?

By looking at the TOC it appears to be ok but that doesn't mean the work is and that is why I keep questioning myself

I have mixed feelings about it. It definitely isn't bad and it certainly has a place for kids who struggle learning math from a parent. At our house, the tears really stopped once we got TT. But, I do think it focuses far too much on how to do an algorithm and not much at all on number sense or what it means. As long as the parent pays attention to the program and supplements with manipulatives and alternative explanations when needed, I think it's great.

I've tutored kids who've used TT and it would be my last resort program for kids who struggle with math. Like Momling said, it seems to focus on using the algorithm and has hardly any critical thinking to it. There are going to be kids who just don't get math, but everyone needs to learn basic math skills. TT is a decent program for those kids. If your child is only struggling in a few areas, I'd suggest taking a break from moving forward and focusing on those areas for a bit.

I've just started using it. I placed Becca at about Lesson 71 in the Grade 3 book. She still says it's very easy. She is also taking CLE 300 which is more challenginig to her. I don't think I would have the nerve to just use TT. Maybe if I just put her in 4, but even then I'd have reservations

What grade did you use it for? What grade was your dc in? Did you have your child placed correctly by placement test or by grade level?

By looking at the TOC it appears to be ok but that doesn't mean the work is and that is why I keep questioning myself

10, 5th grade, TT5 after placement test.

It was too focused on algorithms instead of a deeper understanding.

My girls are both quite independent with Math Mammoth. My 11yo almost entirely (she'll occasionally need some extra explanation), and my 9yo is independent most days, but sometimes needs walking through a new concept.

Math Mammoth and CLE math are both not teacher intensive. That's why those are the only programs we use (and they are also the best math programs we've tried). :)