Menu

Volunteer Work

You can do either.

If the volunteer work fits neatly into a relevant course, I might count it as part of the course. For example, if you are doing a course on zoology and needed 30 more hours to make up a credit, I might put the volunteer work done at the zoo as part of the course, but otherwise I would tend to put volunteer work under "extracurricular."

We figured that since my kids had plenty of coursework on their transcripts already, we would put it under extracurricular.

Colleges like to see plenty of outside involvement, and listing volunteer work under coursework mimimizes your child's outside commitments.

Hi, Carol--

We've done what has been mentioned in other responses to your question: Where we classified volunteer work depended on the nature of the work and the need of transcript.

Examples:

Dd needed more hours for fine arts. She had volunteered at a local community theater, so we included that volunteer time in the fine arts credit.

On the other hand, she also volunteered at church on Sundays, and at an afterschool tutoring program for the economically disadvantaged. These two volunteer positions were described under extracurricular activities.

HTH!

We do what is called "Personal Development" and it's worth 1 credit each semester.

Four activities and write-ups are due each semester and they get to pick which ones to do:

*Attend a community performance

*Exhibit Attendance

*3 Hr. min. of community service

*Explore a college or trade school

*Min. 3 hr. job shadowing

*ESL Expected School wide learning Results; This is a little detailed and if anyone is really interested I could send you more info. But basically it has the student explore these different areas or write about their experience and growth in these areas: academics, communications, critical thinking (applied), becoming culturally aware or productive citizens, technology literate, motivated (self-directed). This ESLR is so vague we usually just stick with the above but when we are in a crunch they will write a ESLR.

We do what is called "Personal Development" and it's worth 1 credit each semester.

A high school unit is usually 120-180 hours. Could you explain how your hours tally 1 credit each semester?

The other posters here have given me something to consider. I was listing volunteer work separately, but my son has done things that dovetail with schoolwork so I may move some things around the transcript. Thanks for the idea!

Jane