Menu

Need Help Finding Grammar Curriculum

Guest Siouxi

Guest Siouxi

( This is a 9th grade homeschooler speaking. I pick out my own curriculum.)

Grammar is definitely not my strong point, so I want something that will start with the basics and then go on into more advanced material. I would actually prefer it if the curriculum was rigorous or at least in depth. For a while I was looking at Analytical Grammar, but it's really expensive and I'm worried that it will be hard to stick to.

:confused:

Does anyone have any experience with AG?

Is there another grammar course you would recommend?

We like BJU. You can back up a year or two if its too hard. Another friend likes A Beka, and backs it up two years, so you could do the one you like from 7-9th grades.

I like the workbooks, they are open and go with explanations, and you don't have to rewrite the sentences in a notebook.

Guest Siouxi
We used Analytical Grammar for 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here. It was originally intended for a one year course for 8th graders, so a 9th grader should be able to complete it in a year.

Thank you! Your review helped me a lot.

I think I will be getting AG this year :)

We are Rod & Staff lovers here! not expensive at all and incredibly thorough! I also like Sentence Composing for High School (available for Middle School and Elementary School as well - and even college level!) Two different approached, but the Sentence Composing really helps develop the ability to write more powerful sentences! I am planning to use the College level for my senior this year and may use the Elem level for a group of middle school girls who need a bit of remediation. If I had to pick one, Rod and Staff for sure - your kids will know their grammar and the names for everything and how to punctuate!

Blessings,

April