Menu

our third grade. what am i missing?

visual arts: Artistic Pursuits Jr High Book 1 (he's into art and good at it)

Latin: Lingua Latina

Greek: Elementary Greek

music: Pianimals

math: Math Mammoth

composition: Writing With Ease

science: Make Electronics (again, he's been tagging along with an older brother, so he's ready)

memory work: poetry and speeches chosen by the kids from Living Memory

history: SOTW 4

literature: a list of modern juvenile fiction + Teaching the Classics

He bikes a lot (daily, in lieu of being driven around town in a minivan) but he hates to get outside and move his body.

Am I missing anything?

I'm not saying it's a gap, but I'm interested in your perspective because I am beginning to suspect a gap in my fifth grader. What do you do about reading comprehension/vocabulary? Is that all covered during the discussion/narration phase of history, literature and Latin?

I have (gasp) been looking at boxed curriculum of the likes of Lifepac Language Arts, BJU Reading/Workbook, CLE Reading/Workbook series and the stuff is OH, SO NOT MY CUPPA. I must admit though, that I would like to see Joshua communicate more strongly in response to his reading. Narration is not his strong suit.

It looks great to me! I wouldn't worry about logic. In our experience, math and languages were the best prep for formal logic study. I could go either way on English grammar - I preferred the kids to know their grammar cold by the time they reached a concept in Latin, but I don't think introducing grammar by way of Latin is a bad thing.

I'm not saying it's a gap, but I'm interested in your perspective because I am beginning to suspect a gap in my fifth grader. What do you do about reading comprehension/vocabulary? Is that all covered during the discussion/narration phase of history, literature and Latin?

We talk about what we read. Yes. I guess that's the extent of it. I wish I could say I have a formal method of dealing with reading comprehension, but I don't. I do go over "Deconstructing Penguins" and IEW's literary analysis program once in a while to keep those methods of discussion fresh in my mind.

In WWE, kids are writing single sentence summaries of each paragraph. That's worth a whole page of reading comprehension questions. I never could have gotten my sons to do that without the very gradual step-by-step leading that SWB provided.

Somehow I didn't see this before I answered your comment on my blog. Sorry about that.