Menu

Rosetta Stone and credits...

We have two sets of Rosetta, one is the homeschool version and only has levels 1-3 of German...the other is a version bought last year (not homeschool) but has 5 levels..

I have read that ONE level of the language is equivalent to one high school credit. We have the kids do 4 'squares' a day...Yes, I've done the silly math and with the five year program there are about 1300 'squares'...doing 16 squares a week (we just do it 4 days a week)..they will finish in just shy of 3 years. So, in my thinking..the five levels would be equivalent to 3 High school credits of a language not 5. We do plan to supplement with a grammar book once they've finished level 3.

Our state only requires 2 years of a foreign language, but I realize many colleges require 3 years...so I want to make sure they have their 3 hours...we have actually completed 5+ years of Latin (Minimus, Secundus, 4 books of Cambridge Latin) but they were all completed before grade 8...so don't think we can count those. Plus, I want them to know a spoken language...

So, for those of you who have used Rosetta Stone programs that use 5 levels, are you counting that as 3 credits of high school languages? And for the homeschool program that only has 3 levels...do you count that as 1, 1.5 or 2 credits?

One child wants to stick with German (3 levels) and the other two are continuing with Italian....so I'm trying to figure out how to give her the extra credits needed..probably with a more formal approach?

Thanks!

I use lesson plans written by mfw so that each level is one credit when uses as the "full curriculum" path, plus the "real life activities" scheduled. My daughter is using Russian, which only has 3 levels that I know of.

There is a local co-op that uses RS level 1 for one year of credit, but they also do meet once a week and talk together in the language with native speaker who runs the class. It's in Latin American Spanish, which has 5 levels.

not sure that answers what you asked.

-crystal

I gave my dd a year's credit for one level of RS Italian, but I have to admit I'm a little conflicted about it. We did some of the MFW's lesson plans, though not all, and I added some grammar teaching from a textbook. That said, I'm not sure that she really came out of it knowing as much Italian as someone should who's just finished Italian I. We'll be doing a coop class this next year with a member of our homeschool group who is a native speaker and professor at a local college...so I guess I'll see just how much completing RS level I accomplished!!! :)

I gave my dd a year's credit for one level of RS Italian, but I have to admit I'm a little conflicted about it.

a few hugs... and maybe some encouragement? maybe?

remember, it's not intended to be college level. it's high school, regular track level.

I remember my high school days with French class. It was regular track. We could understand enough to speak a little in class and not get totally lost on a summer trip to France.

and with the mfw plans, those were written by a public school high school Spanish teacher who homeschools his children. so someone out there thinks it's good nuf for high school intro levels.

hope that encourages a bit? maybe?

-crystal

In high school, I took a Spanish 2 class at a local private school, fairly well respected for its academics. Kids came into that class (presumably having passed Spanish 1) not knowing the meaning of "gracias" and not being able to pronounce the word "y." I think you're fine (as far as colleges are concerned) assigning a year of credit for a level of Rosetta Stone, especially if you supplement with a grammar curriculum. Every level 1 language class I have seen at a college assumes no prior knowledge of that language, and it takes a lot to be allowed to skip to level 2 or 3.

My ds took 2 years to finish RS levels 1-5 (8th and 9th grade) and got credit for German 1.

At the end of the school year, as he was finishing level 5, he took Oklahoma State's placement test for German 2 and got about a 50%. So he started in their German level 1. It is fairly easy for him as he does have the RS background in vocab, pronunciation, etc., but he was sorely lacking in grammar. We plan for him to finish it quickly (he often does 2 lessons a day) so that he can start in level 2 by the end of September and get credit for German 2 in 10th grade.

I am not a Rosetta Stone fan for high school credit. I think it's a good introduction and gives some conversational ability.