Menu

S/O of Home Economics thread...What about Home Ec. for boys?

I'm glad this topic was brought up as I was JUST thinking about this last night!

When I took Home Ec. in school, there were several boys in the class as well, yet most of the homeschool curriculum I see is geared toward girls becoming godly wives, homemakers, etc. I honestly think my son would have a blast learning how to cook and sew though. :confused: Yes, I know that in conservative Christian households the women do all that stuff (being the only female in a house of males...trust me, I know), but what if my ds does not marry, or does not marry until later in life? Doesn't he need to know how to take care of himself? Mend his own clothes? Cook his own meals? Seriously. I mean I know he needs to learn all the manly stuff, but we are talking one semester (maybe two). Why does it seem that this concept is so foreign in homeschool circles?

Are there any of you who have had your boys complete some type of Home Ec. course? If so, can you tell me what you did...did you use some type of curriculum? Would love to hear your thoughts. :001_smile:

My strapping 17 year old son did a semester course we called "Culinary Arts" his senior year, by using 2 of Alton Brown's Books - "I'm Just Here for the Food" (cooking) and I"m Just here for More Food" (baking). My son loves science, and Alton Brown's cookbooks are written in the same way his TV cooking shows are. He loved it! I just divided up the two books into about 85 days of lessons. Some days he read, some days he practiced cooking or baking techniques, and a couple of days I let him watch some Alton Brown clips on http://www.foodtv.com.

My strapping 17 year old son did a semester course we called "Culinary Arts" his senior year, by using 2 of Alton Brown's Books - "I'm Just Here for the Food" (cooking) and I"m Just here for More Food" (baking). My son loves science, and Alton Brown's cookbooks are written in the same way his TV cooking shows are. He loved it! I just divided up the two books into about 85 days of lessons. Some days he read, some days he practiced cooking or baking techniques, and a couple of days I let him watch some Alton Brown clips on http://www.foodtv.com.

Oh, now that's a great idea!!

I wonder if I could do a simple Home Ec course with him this year (9th) learning the basics of money management, cooking, sewing (he's taking health 1st Semester, so maybe doing it 2nd semester after health) and then do a semester of Culinary Arts in 11th (while also taking Chemistry) thereby taking the cooking to a higher level. What do you think?

Yes, I'd probably do a general "home ec" by 9th. Usually it's a junior high course, unless the student is really into advanced sewing etc. (the gals at the MACHE convention display the most amazing detailed pioneer gowns and such).

I think a cooking elective in high school is more common and usually goes further than a junior high type home ec. One resource for that that I like is Cooking Science by the Julichers:

http://www.homeschoolsciencepress.com/shop/cooking-science

Julie

Yes, I'd probably do a general "home ec" by 9th. Usually it's a junior high course, unless the student is really into advanced sewing etc. (the gals at the MACHE convention display the most amazing detailed pioneer gowns and such).

I think a cooking elective in high school is more common and usually goes further than a junior high type home ec. One resource for that that I like is Cooking Science by the Julichers:

http://www.homeschoolsciencepress.com/shop/cooking-science

Julie

Thanks Julie!

So, would you hold off on a 9th grade Home Ec course then? Perhaps just wait until 11th and do a semester of Culinary Arts (incorporating any basics of cooking he doesn't have down by then) followed by a semester of money management/finance...or something. I think our high schools here offer Home Ec. though, not the jr. high schools.

Hmmm...I wonder if I could put together a semester of Life Skills for 9th. Not sure what that would include exactly. Maybe those Home Ec. skills my ds does not yet have, along with other life skills that I can come up with; car maintenance, gardening basics, budgeting, CPR, etc.?? I don't know, just trying to think outside the box a wee bit, add a bit of creativity to his transcript. :confused:

Thanks Julie!

So, would you hold off on a 9th grade Home Ec course then? Perhaps just wait until 11th and do a semester of Culinary Arts (incorporating any basics of cooking he doesn't have down by then) followed by a semester of money management/finance...or something. I think our high schools here offer Home Ec. though, not the jr. high schools.

Hmmm...I wonder if I could put together a semester of Life Skills for 9th. Not sure what that would include exactly. Maybe those Home Ec. skills my ds does not yet have, along with other life skills that I can come up with; car maintenance, gardening basics, budgeting, CPR, etc.?? I don't know, just trying to think outside the box a wee bit, add a bit of creativity to his transcript. :confused:

Definitely look at your local schools and don't be afraid to follow what they're doing, if that's what you want to do (unless you have some especially lame school districts around you).

Just for comparison, I'll copy-paste some from Minnesota. Remember that these are for all kids, not just college-bound kids, but even college-bound kids may have a "fun class" or two in there.

Our neighboring school district, which has quite high standards, offers these courses in their family & consumer sciences (this school is for 10-12th):

Interior Design

Child Psychology I

Child Psychology II

Creative Foods

International Foods

Fashion Design

PSYCHOLOGY OF RELATIONSHIPS I & II - In these courses we focus on topics that are influencing the students now. For example, eating disorders, decision making, communication, grieving, dating and self-esteem. The class revolves around student involvement, discussion and an in depth study.

Our own school district, which is NOT very advanced, has these options for "family and consumer science":

S2 CHILD DEVELOPMENT (10, 11, 12)

S1 : S2 TEEN ISSUES (9, 10, 11, 12)

S1 : S2 INTERIOR DESIGN (9, 10, 11, 12)

S1 : S2 LIVING ON YOUR OWN (11, 12)

S1 : S2 FASHION (9, 10, 11, 12)

S1 : S2 INTRODUCTION TO FOODS (9, 10, 11, 12)

S2 : S2 CREATIVE FOODS (10, 11, 12)

S2 CULTURAL FOODS (10, 11, 12)

The following courses are offered at Hennepin Technical College.

CHILD DEVELOPMENT CAREERS CLUSTER (11, 12)

CHILD DEVELOPMENT (LEVEL II) (11, 12)

CULINARY ARTS FOOD SERVICE CLUSTER (11, 12)

CULINARY ARTS (LEVEL II) (11, 12)

HTH,

Julie

I agree that boys should learn these things as well, along with many other life skills. We will make sure DS does - basically learning by doing (DD is a pretty good cook already, without formal curriculum).

I will not include things like this on his academic transcript, though - to me, that would look like padding. I can't imagine any college admissions person being impressed by course titles such as "living on your own".

I would consider us conservative Christians, but I DO NOT do all of the cooking and cleaning. My DH and I split the cooking and cleaning pretty evenly. Last Saturday I cleaned the playroom, front room, and living room with the kids while he did the kitchen. Then we each took a bathroom, then he headed to the garden while the kids and I tackled their rooms. We ordered pizza for lunch to save time and worked on dinner together. My DH can cook amazing full meals. I want my son to be able to do the same for his wife when he is an adult. Also, I don't expect him to get married as soon as he moves out of the house, he will need to be able to cook for him self. He will also need to be able to do repairs to clothing.

I think that home maintenance and life skills should be taught equally to boys and girls, but I don't think that it needs to be an academic credit. I agree that a life skills class is not likely to impress a college admissions counselor (unless they are applying for a culinary arts degree, then create as many cooking classes as you can!)

I will not include things like this on his academic transcript, though - to me, that would look like padding. I can't imagine any college admissions person being impressed by course titles such as "living on your own".

Hmmm...

Normally I think I would agree with you, but every college admissions person is an individual so lumping them all together on what would/would not impress them in elective courses is probably unwise, not to mention awfully binding. School can/should also be fun, right? That's what electives are for. Would Drama, Band, or Color Guard be considered padding on a transcript, I wonder? Besides, I think a good solid Life Skills course (with an awesome course description) for a high school student preparing to attend college and live in a dorm would be ideal to an admissions counselor. :confused:

I just read...somewhere...how schools aren't all about academics anymore. They want good test scores, and to see specific subjects covered, but they also want well-rounded, well-adjusted students as so many students nowadays are neither of those things. Sad, but true.

Anyhow, I am just thinking this all through and am not sure it's something I will definitely add to his transcript. But he does plan to attend a Christian College and the one he has his eye on would welcome that particular elective. :001_smile: Also, with my sons crazy busy schedule, the only way to get him to learn these Life Skills is to make it happen. The only way to make it happen is to make it part of school. School is important to him, so if it's schoolwork, he'll do what needs doing. ;)

Regenetrude,

Out of curiosity, are you going to put Horsemanship on your transcript? Not being at ALL snarky, I'm just curious what one considers worthy of an elective credit. I am finding it very hard to figure out the 40 elective credits my ds will need by graduation! :confused::tongue_smilie:

Our high school adviser thinks his piano could be considered academic, but for some reason I find that less worthy of a credit than a Life Skills or Culinary Art course. I don't know, perhaps I am just thinking to far in advance and I should just keep my focus on THIS year? :D

Regenetrude,

Out of curiosity, are you going to put Horsemanship on your transcript? Not being at ALL snarky, I'm just curious what one considers worthy of an elective credit. I am finding it very hard to figure out the 40 elective credits my ds will need by graduation! :confused::tongue_smilie:

Our high school adviser thinks his piano could be considered academic, but for some reason I find that less worthy of a credit than a Life Skills or Culinary Art course. I don't know, perhaps I am just thinking to far in advance and I should just keep my focus on THIS year? :D

40 elective credits? I only had 27 credits total graduating from a college prep school and if you credit hours, that is still more than the elective hours I needed for my undergraduate degree.

Regenetrude,

Out of curiosity, are you going to put Horsemanship on your transcript? Not being at ALL snarky, I'm just curious what one considers worthy of an elective credit. I am finding it very hard to figure out the 40 elective credits my ds will need by graduation!

I am not really sure. In order to make it a real credit, I would prefer DD to add some kind of theoretical component. OTOH, if it is required that we have credit for PE, this would be one (which I would list as pass/fail, but not give a letter grade to be counted in the GPA)

How do credits count in your state? You mention 40 - gotta be a different system from our state where one credit is one hour daily for one school year, so students graduate with about 28 credits total.

We are planning five credits for core subjects per year, and then 1-2 electives each year. So far, we know that DD will have Art history, music history, German literature.

ETA: From what I read, it is wise to save some activities to list as extracurriculars. Choir, for example, can be taken for regular credit in school and college - but it could also be counted as an elective. So, if we get another fine arts credit, choir could be extracurricular - if not, we might use it together with other music to satisfy the requirement for a fine arts elective.

Edited by regentrude

40 elective credits? I only had 27 credits total graduating from a college prep school and if you credit hours, that is still more than the elective hours I needed for my undergraduate degree.

We have two high school graduation tracks here in California (or in our area). You can do either standard or college prep.

Standard/College Prep:

English 30/40 (credit to graduate)

Math 20/30

History 30/30

Science 20/30 (one must be a lab science)

Fine Arts 10/10

Foreign Language 10/20

PE 20/20

Electives 20/40

Since my ds does want to go to college, we are shooting for the college prep route. =) We can use any extra credits in science, art, math, or foreign lang for our electives credit as well. I can see my ds perhaps wanting to go four years in science, but even though colleges would like four years of math, I have a feeling ds will not want to go any higher than Alg 2. Art and Foriegn lang, maybe. Who knows though, that all may change once the hormones settle down. :D.

Melissa, please explain to me: what does constitute one credit in CA? I mean, how many hours? It must be a different system than here (where a credit is between 130 and 180 hours)

We have two high school graduation tracks here in California (or in our area). You can do either standard or college prep.

Standard/College Prep:

Math 20/30

History 30/30

Fine Arts 10/10

Foreign Language 10/20

PE 20/20

Electives 20/40

Oh, now that's a great idea!!

I wonder if I could do a simple Home Ec course with him this year (9th) learning the basics of money management, cooking, sewing (he's taking health 1st Semester, so maybe doing it 2nd semester after health) and then do a semester of Culinary Arts in 11th (while also taking Chemistry) thereby taking the cooking to a higher level. What do you think?

That would totally work!

Maybe it's partly because I have no daughters, but I am all about teaching my sons living skills. *

Cleaning: My kids have had chores of increasing difficulty over the years. We have a schedule (a spinner, actually that indicates who is "Kitchen Captain", "Bathroom Buster" and "Laundry Leader") where each kid is in charge of an area for a week. I have a detailed checklist (written by my 8 yo) on the steps for bathroom cleaning and plan on having the other kids write checklists for the other jobs (which will serve as both a look at processes and as a writing assignment).

For cooking, I've been teaching them how to make family favorites as well as follow new recipes. We have a family cookbook (sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder) with the best recipes that our family loves. I started with breakfasts (pancakes, French Toast, eggs), then to things like soup from a can, grilled cheese sandwiches and on to helping to make some of the family dinners (spaghetti, chicken casserole, enchilada). I guess for us, one of the keys has been to allow a special treat food (cookies, brownies, banana bread) if they are willing to bake it. So I have a 13 yo who makes banana bread as comfort food.

This has been a real blessing to our family. DH was a way a lot the last few years. Having kids who could cook meant that I could keep teaching a brother while they got a meal started. It was also really helpful when I was sick and couldn't make dinners.

I recently started to teach one of the boys how to iron. Another one wanted to learn to knit (which I need to try to teach again).

I haven't used a curriculum, per se. I've just included them in the activities around the house and expected them to be contributing members of the family.

One of my friends has a son and daughter who are in their teens. Her plan of attack has been to work through a cookbook with them so they learn techniques (saute, browning, boiling, simmering, etc). Then she has them plan, shop for and make one meal a week. There has been a little friendly competition between them, so it seems like the meals have been pretty fantastic.

One book that I did find useful for me a few years ago was Home Comforts. It has detailed descriptions of how to clean and care for all kinds of things.

*While I would cheerfully say I am a Conservative Christian, I guess there are whole acres of more conservative attitudes beyond where I am/we are. I do think that dh and I are complementary to each other. But I don't think that there are regulations or dictates about how we are supposed to complement one another. I ironed his uniform exactly once, and did it so poorly that he asked me never to try again. On the other hand, I make sure that he always has clean uniforms ready to use. Our being helpers to each other doesn't mean that our dividing up of tasks has to look like everyone else. JMHO.

FWIW, one of the coolest things I saw this summer what when we were at a much loved Christian family camp. One of the boys senior staffers (a college student) was knitting in the back row of evening sessions. There were a lot of knitters around that week and I got talking to him about what he was making. He explained that he was making a pair of mittens for the girls staff to use when they were working in the walk in freezer and that this was a short project as a break from the baby blanket he was making for a friend's new baby. I thought that was super cool. This young man is headed off to a military school and the sight of his knitting did not diminish his manliness or servanthood at all. (In fact, he was homeschooled, so if his mama's here - well done.)

Standard/College Prep:

Math 20/30

History 30/30

Fine Arts 10/10

Foreign Language 10/20

PE 20/20

Electives 20/40

Since my ds does want to go to college, we are shooting for the college prep route. =) We can use any extra credits in science, art, math, or foreign lang for our electives credit as well. I can see my ds perhaps wanting to go four years in science, but even though colleges would like four years of math, I have a feeling ds will not want to go any higher than Alg 2. Art and Foriegn lang, maybe. Who knows though, that all may change once the hormones settle down. :D.

But what do these credits represent? If you're doing an English class every year for four years is that 40 credits? (Maybe something like a credit for each hour of class per week times two semesters?) If that were the case, then you'd only be looking at one elective class per semester.

And as far as getting enough electives goes, do they count upper level foreign language (so a third year would count as an elective)? What about things like computer science, aditional fine arts, or history beyond the 30 credits listed?

Each year-long class is 10 credits.

10 credits = 150 to 180 hours of class time

Each semester class is 5 credits

5 credits = 75 to 90 hours of class time

PE is the exception...45 hours of documented activity = 5 credits.

All community college classes of 3 units or more are 10 credits and considered AP.

Sorry for the confusion! I meant to put this in my last post, but got hurried along by my dh who needed the computer. ;)

And as far as getting enough electives goes, do they count upper level foreign language (so a third year would count as an elective)? What about things like computer science, aditional fine arts, or history beyond the 30 credits listed?

Yes, a 3rd year of foreign language could be used as (10) elective credits, and our 4th year of history can be used as (10) elective credits.

Clear as mud? :D

Yes, a 3rd year of foreign language could be used as (10) elective credits, and our 4th year of history can be used as (10) elective credits.

Clear as mud? :D

Clear now. I just don't think you'll really have that much trouble coming up with 8 semesters of electives.

You might want to look at the thread on course descriptions. There are some detailed samples that might get the creative juices flowing.

I'll give a heads up, because we had a little "surprise" this summer. Dd's prospective college has this thing called "academic elective" and in the preview of senior classes that dd will take, I found out they weren't accepting accounting, extra PE credits, and culinary arts (dd did cake decorating) toward them. We have to add two classes to her schedule to be in line with entrance requirements.

Back in the day...at my first high school all girls had to take Home Ec (which irritated this young woman libber to no end :D), then I moved and the school I graduated from had no such requirements. My husband had to take "Single Living" (Home Ec) to graduate (and therefore counted in GPA).

As a teenager there is no way I was going to be a stay at home mom, and have to cook, clean, sew, etc. Yep. And now, I love being a SAHM who hs too. But it's been an uphill battle to learn to cook and sew (which I rarely do because my husband does a better job!).

So, that being said. I think it's important to learn home ec stuff for both male and females. I have AO ready to go for my daughter and will use it with my son too. I have to because I know how to explain Algebra better than I know how to explain why we use baking soda for some things and baking powder for others (really - why is that?).

I'll give a heads up, because we had a little "surprise" this summer. Dd's prospective college has this thing called "academic elective" and in the preview of senior classes that dd will take, I found out they weren't accepting accounting, extra PE credits, and culinary arts (dd did cake decorating) toward them. We have to add two classes to her schedule to be in line with entrance requirements.

Thanks Susan. Kind of disturbing that electives can no longer be...well...elective! What's wrong with Accounting?? I mean if they have all of the Math credits, why can't they have an Accounting elective. Maybe the student loves Accounting. Sheesh. Now, PE padding I can understand, but Culinary Arts, I think, should be fine. Whatevah! :lol::lol:

I've been reading through Barb Shelton's A Home Designed Form-U-La and yowza! I can't imagine these colleges taking many of her put together off the wall subjects. Her school sounds so much more fun than the average school though...and a lot more work to plan out if you ask me!...but I love some of her ideas. I am seriously not brave enough to try them to the possible detriment to my sons college chances though.