Menu

AP classes and college Classes

No, they don't have to take the AP or SAT subject test in that class. One of them actually won't allow them to take the test if they have completed a college course. I just don't remember which.

I think the college class is enough, but it might depend on your goals. Enough for what?

If you are trying to show that your dc is prepared for college level work then the college course does that.

One of them actually won't allow them to take the test if they have completed a college course.

them? :confused: I imagine both SAT and AP will be happy to take your $$ no matter what, but I could be wrong.

I am certainly no expert, but for a while, I considered having ds take the AP exam after the CC course because:

(1) it is my understanding that some colleges accept AP credit and some accept CC credit and some accept both and some accept neither. I figured if we did both, then the bases would be covered.

(2) not all CCs are created equal. The AP exam is consistent across the US.

I think I have given up on that idea because it would just be another battle to fight, more than likely. :tongue_smilie:

Ds has no idea where he wants to go to college. I doubt it will be a selective university. If I thought that was going to be the case, I would be more tempted to do both CC and AP.

I kind of refuse to think about SAT II, so far. ;)

My 2c.

Just wondering if your child takes a college class - do they still have to take the AP exam on that subject - or the SAT subject tests? Or is the college class enough?

Thanks.

Deb

It depends on the colleges your student is interested in. Check their websites and see 1) if they accept AP in a given subject for credit and if so, what score is required 2) look for transfer credits accepted and see if your cc is already listed (most likely if it is in the same state.) If it is, see which course it translates to. (They often have different titles) 3) If your son will apply for a school within the university) say an engineering school or a business school, check with that dept and make sure they accept the transfer as a pre-req. Sometimes, the college will accept it, but the particular school will not. This also applies to AP's and whether they will accept an AP score as a pre-requisite.

One of them actually won't allow them to take the test if they have completed a college course.

This is not true. My children have taken many APs and SAT subject tests after college courses. We did it because we weren't sure how colleges would look at the community college grades since quality varies so much from school to school. APs and SAT subject tests are objective measures colleges respect.

Edited by Muttichen
accidentally choose wrong section to quote

I agree that it depends on the college. We're finding that more selective colleges seem to prefer AP tests. State colleges don't seem to care.

If doing an AP test after a college course, be certain to buy a prep book as the two don't always cover the same material to the same extent.

Oh, and some colleges accept neither CC transfer credit nor AP credits . They want you to pay for every single credit from them.

However, whether a college accepts AP or CC for credit, they do look on it as evidence of rigor in the high school years. That can help you get into certain colleges even if you don't have credit.

As someone said above, state schools are more likely to accept cc credit from the cc's in their state system. Some of the state schools are excellent schools. Just check with the school your student has an eye on ahead of time so that you're not disappointed late in the game.

My son did community college classes and transferred those credits to the university he is attending. Because he took then concurrently he was able to apply as an incoming freshman for financial aid and scholarship purposes. Edited to add: It does depend on the college or university whether they accept transfer credits from the CC. My son took some SAT II tests but I don't know how important those were to the schools he applied to.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Thanks everyone. This information was very helpful and got me checking it out in all the right places!

I went on the website of the college that I like the most (her second choice - or third choice, don't recall) and they don't take college courses only AP's!

I didn't check out her first choice because she is going to take the class at that college - so I'm sure they will take their own class....... or maybe I should check that out for sure!

Best bet is to just have her take the AP! I'm so happy that she likes taking tests!

Thanks for your help!

Deb