Menu

If you use Latin for Children....

I agree it's a lot of grammar, but I think you would be throwing out the essence of the program if you didn't require that part to be done. To me, that's where the true understanding of Latin comes from. Otherwise it would would just be translation, and I don't see the point of studying Latin for that.

I agree it's a lot of grammar, but I think you would be throwing out the essence of the program if you didn't require that part to be done. To me, that's where the true understanding of Latin comes from. Otherwise it would would just be translation, and I don't see the point of studying Latin for that.

:iagree:

:iagree:

I also noticed that my DD wasn't able to apply English grammar to Latin without having it explicitly laid out, but that it worked the other way if a specific term or label was introduced in Latin first. So, for her, if I were only going to teach grammar in English or Latin, I'd be better off doing so in Latin.

What do you mean by "do the grammar part"? I don't understand how you could translate without identifying the parts of the sentence, and I don't see how you can do that without discussing grammar.

We didn't find the amount of grammar in LFC Primer A to be very onerous, but my ds is a little older (just turned 11). I found it a very good reinforcement for what he learned in English grammar (we use Easy Grammar). We're looking forward to Primer B this year.

Like the above posters, I would not skip the grammar in LFC. You really need to know how it applies to the Latin words to translate it well. You probably can't see that at the beginning of the book, but by the halfway point it will be more obvious.

I'd put less focus on the grammar that's in your writing book, or skip it entirely unless the new writing concept depends on it, and go with either FLL or Queen's, not both.

Like the above posters, I would not skip the grammar in LFC. You really need to know how it applies to the Latin words to translate it well. You probably can't see that at the beginning of the book, but by the halfway point it will be more obvious.

I'd put less focus on the grammar that's in your writing book, or skip it entirely unless the new writing concept depends on it, and go with either FLL or Queen's, not both.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I don't want to drop Queen's because that's the one she does when she needs to do something on her own while I'm working with her brother or doing something else. Plus it covers things other than grammar and I like the variety.

I will think about dropping the grammar in WT.

We are only on level A, but I don't know how you could skip it, exactly. It's true that if they already understand parts of speech, you can go through the lesson a little faster.

I thought the grammar in WT1 was redundant. There may be children who do better with more practice like that in WT1. But FLL provides plenty of repetition of concepts on its own, IMO.