Menu

Am I the only one who can't sharpen a pencil?

For the life of me, I can't get a pencil sharpened properly! I have an electric sharpener, a bunch of hand ones where you turn the pencil and I just bought a crank one. I can't get the pencils sharpened!! I've also tried lots of different kinds of pencils so it's not the pencil brand. Either it just grinds the whole pencil down to nothing, or it sharpens it unevenly so that there is both wood and lead at the point, or it does something to it where the lead just falls out.

Am I just inept? What in the world... :tongue_smilie:

For the life of me, I can't get a pencil sharpened properly! I have an electric sharpener, a bunch of hand ones where you turn the pencil and I just bought a crank one. I can't get the pencils sharpened!! I've also tried lots of different kinds of pencils so it's not the pencil brand. Either it just grinds the whole pencil down to nothing, or it sharpens it unevenly so that there is both wood and lead at the point, or it does something to it where the lead just falls out.

Am I just inept? What in the world... :tongue_smilie:

happens to me too. I just got some Ticonderoga pencils and had a much easier time of it. I think it was because they came pre-sharpened. Starting with a blank slate is a recipe for disaster here. :D

happens to me too. I just got some Ticonderoga pencils and had a much easier time of it. I think it was because they came pre-sharpened. Starting with a blank slate is a recipe for disaster here. :D

They are just better pencils. Other pencils are worthless, especially the ones you get at Walmart or other box stores. I won't buy anything other than Ticonderoga's anymore. At least when you sharpen them the leads don't fall out.:glare:

• Like 3

They are just better pencils. Other pencils are worthless, especially the ones you get at Walmart or other box stores. I won't buy anything other than Ticonderoga's anymore. At least when you sharpen them the leads don't fall out.:glare:

Then your Ticonderoga's must be better quality than mine. I bought some, both the black ones and the yellow, and I STILL can't get the blooming things sharpened properly! :glare:

I have the exact same problems as the op. I.don't.understand. I just want to give up.

I went through 3 electric sharpeners in 2 years. They all sharpened crooked and eventually something would break off inside and they stopped working.

I bought an X-acto wall-mount sharpener at the '$.99 Only' store. One day I finally installed it on the wall in the laundry room and it is amazing! It sharpens to a super fine point that is the same all around!

It looks about like this one.http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-1083-Sharpener-Wall-Mount-Translucent/dp/B0057VIEY6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1312573766&sr=8-11

When it breaks (for $.99, I don't think it's going to last too long), I will get another X-acto sharpener. Probably one that is steel instead of plastic.

My favorite pencils are Papermate but my sharpener even does well on the cheap pencils that I buy DD as prizes.

• Like 1

Then your Ticonderoga's must be better quality than mine. I bought some, both the black ones and the yellow, and I STILL can't get the blooming things sharpened properly! :glare:

I have the exact same problems as the op. I.don't.understand. I just want to give up.

Same here. RegularDad bought a huge pack of Ticonderogas for us last year and we couldn't sharpen them properly at all. They'd be crooked, or the leads would fall out.... drove us crazy.

I'll try that right handed trick. My dd10 and I are both lefties. Here's hoping....

• 9 years later...
On 8/5/2011 at 3:20 PM, Renee in NC said:

I honestly don’t know why they even make these cheap pencils. I honestly can’t stand it when my kids get these cheap pencils in their Halloween baskets or valentines gifts. They are complete garbage that and the lead is always falling out no matter how well you sharpen them. Such a waste in our environment and what a waste of money! They should be banned!! Ticerondogas are truly the only pencils that work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ticonderoga weren’t always made in China, but the quality has gone downhill since. I use The Write Dudes pencils made in the USA. You can find them at WM actually. My favorite pencil sharpener can sharpen any pencil even the cheap ones. The downside is that it sharpens them too well. The points are super sharp. 

https://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com/

The sharpener lasts a long time. I haven’t needed to replace any parts yet. 

Edited by Mona