Menu

Thank you to whomever recommended "Lies My Teacher Told Me...."

Everything Your High School History Text Got Wrong by James Loewen. I was up late reading it last night. Its a page-turner.

I would love to hear what others think about it.

I also just received from Amazon:

People's History Of the United States (Zinn)

and

A History Of The American People (Johnson)

It would be safe to say I'm taking a break from Austin and now reading about American history, which I'm really sketchy on.

Must we use a textbook for high school history OR will these above books suffice?

Thanks!

Loewen's website:

http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/

http://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Teacher-Told-Everything/dp/0743296281/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211643445&sr=8-1

Beth, you also may want to check out Martin Gilbert's multi-volume 20th century series. It puts American History in context (it's World History), and goes literally year by year. I used the first volume to supplement Sonlight's 300 core, and it's really readable. In case you have dc make context pages, it's really really good.

No, you don't need a textbook!

I read parts to my kids several years ago. I have not read the whole thing but I remember that I was pretty ticked off at Columbus, horrified by the first Thanksgiving and downright disappointed with the treatment of Native Americans. I did some additional research about how the Iroquois Nation influenced the making of our Constitution. My oldest son had been taking a class at CC and was telling me about this and his prof. recommended Lies My Teacher Told Me. The book seems very well documented. I also have enjoyed reading Paul Johnson's American History too. It seem like most history books and curriculums leave out so many important details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois

Laurie in CA

I also just received from Amazon:

People's History Of the United States (Zinn)

and

A History Of The American People (Johnson)

It would be safe to say I'm taking a break from Austin and now reading about American history, which I'm really sketchy on.

Must we use a textbook for high school history OR will these above books suffice?

Thanks!

I used Johnson's book for high school American history (supplemented with other books and primary sources). You do not need a textbook. Boy, you're going to get "both sides" (and then some) by using both Johnson and Zinn!

Thanks, gals. All three of those history books were recommended a while back. When the box came yesterday I was surprised how thick they are.

My little girls thought I was gone last evening, but I was huddled in bed w/ my books and light-wedge. That was my big mommy-night.

Hey, its cheaper than shopping :)