Menu

Runners (abbeyej!!), my ankles hurt.

I run on the treadmill and have decent shoes. I run at between 5.5 and 5.8 mph. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays I run a mile and walk 1/4, plus lift weights. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I run 2 miles and walk a mile.

My ankles started hurting when I increased to the run 2/walk 1 days. What should I do? I've kept at it, but lowered the incline on the treadmill (it was at 3%, now at 2%). The ankles are not swollen, but they are sore.

I love running and it's really helping me deal with stress/anxiety (son's deployment). Any suggestions?

Roflol, I am SO not a runner, Ria. :) I mean, I try, and maybe someday I'll "really" be one, but... Not yet. :)

I'm sorry your ankles are sore though. My first inclination would just be to cut back a little on those longer days -- maybe still do the 3 miles, but run less of it -- and see if that helps? Maybe you just stepped up your training a little faster than your body could adapt?

I've been thinking of you with your son gone... (())

Not abbeyej, but I am a runner. What's your stride like? I started having knee pain after completing my first half marathon. I shortened my stride, so that I'm striking mid-foot rather than on my heels. I hit the ground almost directly under my body, and my feet go out more behind me when I push off. Plus, I'm focusing on having a very light footfall. My knee pain is pretty much gone now.

It's been a while since I have done any serious running, but I had the same problem while training for a half-marathon years ago. The advice I was given was to do ankle-strengthening exercises. Two that I remember were walking across the room on tiptoes and then again on just your heels with your toes in the air. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if this works because soon after this I got a stress fracture and had to quit training. :glare:

It's been a while since I have done any serious running, but I had the same problem while training for a half-marathon years ago. The advice I was given was to do ankle-strengthening exercises. Two that I remember were walking across the room on tiptoes and then again on just your heels with your toes in the air. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if this works because soon after this I got a stress fracture and had to quit training. :glare:

It works. If I've been out of shape for a while I lose a lot of that strength and need to do them every day. Walk with your feet pointed in, pointed out, on the outside, on the inside, on your heels, on your toes, backwards. Pretend to write the alphabet in cursive with each foot. Pick up marbles or legos with your toes while you sit and watch tv.

I had started running about 3 months ago (I did combined running and power walking), and had the same thing happen. Well, I obviously don't know if they're hurting for the same reason. Anyway, I took some time off from the jogging, but kept walking, and my ankles stopped hurting. For myself, I've decided I like strong power walking better (I walk at about 4.0 to 4.5 miles per hour) and so have switched back. I can keep it up longer and I've checked my heart rate and it gets well into the target zone for weight/fat loss. At this point, I've also added in some sprinting and my ankles have not begun hurting again with this. I walk about 3.5 to 4.5 miles a day, which takes 45 minutes to an hour, and in that time I sprint for about 20 seconds 5-7 times.

I run on the treadmill and have decent shoes. I run at between 5.5 and 5.8 mph. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays I run a mile and walk 1/4, plus lift weights. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I run 2 miles and walk a mile.

My ankles started hurting when I increased to the run 2/walk 1 days. What should I do? I've kept at it, but lowered the incline on the treadmill (it was at 3%, now at 2%). The ankles are not swollen, but they are sore.

I love running and it's really helping me deal with stress/anxiety (son's deployment). Any suggestions?

When you say you have decent shoes - what do you mean? How old are they? Are they actual running shoes? Were you fitted at a running store (not a sports store - a running store)? I ask because this same thing happened to me when I started running years ago. I had been wearing a pair of old shoes. I went and got fitted and the pain went away.

At the store, they should watch you walk both in shoes and out. They should look at the bottoms of your shoes to see how you wear them. You should be able to try the shoes out. Some stores have treadmills. Ours lets us run around the block.

Roflol, I am SO not a runner, Ria. :) I mean, I try, and maybe someday I'll "really" be one, but... Not yet. :)

I'm sorry your ankles are sore though. My first inclination would just be to cut back a little on those longer days -- maybe still do the 3 miles, but run less of it -- and see if that helps? Maybe you just stepped up your training a little faster than your body could adapt?

I've been thinking of you with your son gone... (())

Yes you are!!!!! AND, you're a triathlete!!!! Yup. Like it or not, you're an athlete all the way around!!!

Thank you all! Jennifer, I will find a local running store and do what you suggested. My shoes are "running" shoes but off the rack, no fitting or salesperson.

I am also going to start tiptoeing, heelwalking, and walking backwards, etc. LOL. Dh is really going to think I've lost it now!