Menu

preferred self-education resources

I learned one thing this summer.

Or rather, I had something driven home to me.

I noticed that when I started reading more, my kids started reading more. I had the TV on for background noise because I can't stand silence and my baby was watching cartoons on PBS.

So I got to thinking that maybe if I started doing more for my own gray matter, my kids would be more excited about exercising their own brains. Has anyone ever tried this approach and where do I start? I barely survived algebra and I'm not the history whiz that my dh is.

Any ideas? I have no budget to buy for myself and I'm not sure of how to schedule it especially with a baby in the house.

Yup, the library. Start at the first shelf of both fiction and non-fiction and take home anything that looks interesting. Read them, then go back and take home whatever looks good from the second shelves.

You don't schedule it, really. You read while you feed the baby, you read while you are stirring dinner. You lie on a blanket in the backyard and read. I'm not allowed to read on the sofa, but if I lie on a blanket in the backyard, I am allowed, because the toddler can come and sit on me sometimes.

Knitting is a bit of a hassle with small kids around. I have to hide in my room to knit, which isn't setting much of an example. Weaving, on the other hand, is easier to pick up and put down. Tabletweaving is pretty cheap.

:)

Rosie

I know a mom in my homeschool group who is one of the few successful unschoolers I know, and one of her main methods to get her kids to do more of something academic she wants them to do is to start doing more of it herself. So I think it's a good motivational method that should work just fine! :-)

Through the Eyes of a Child is VERY cheap and a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Eyes-Child-Introduction-Literature/dp/0132202964/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

My copy is the 6th edition and I only paid about $3.00 for a like new copy copy. The book is now in it's 8th edition, so older copies are quite cheap when you locate them.

Cheap textbooks that teach you how to educate with free library books are a good bargain!

What about writing and art? If you are scribbling on paper, children will want to too. What about starting a greeting card ministry? The children could adopt some shuts ins to write to.