Menu

Greek for Children

Yes, my kids are doing Latin, but someone asked me about Greek for Children since I'm already familiar with Latin for Children. I'm not familiar with the earlier CAP stuff, though. So, if you've done Greek, would you recommend Song School Greek, Code Cracker, neither, or both before starting GfC? This would be for a homeschool classroom setting (10-15 students, bright/gifted) in 3rd to 5th grades. If SSG is anything like SSL, I think it would be too cheesy for a 3rd grader, however, I know from glancing at it, that it has writing practice since this is a completely new alphabet. I have no idea what Code Cracker is, though. Does it also teach the alphabet? I'd assume so? :001_huh: But then, I'd assume GfC also introduces the alphabet? I know it's a year-long course, though. How long does Code Cracker last? Like a summer course, maybe?

Yes, my kids are doing Latin, but someone asked me about Greek for Children since I'm already familiar with Latin for Children. I'm not familiar with the earlier CAP stuff, though. So, if you've done Greek, would you recommend Song School Greek, Code Cracker, neither, or both before starting GfC? This would be for a homeschool classroom setting (10-15 students, bright/gifted) in 3rd to 5th grades. If SSG is anything like SSL, I think it would be too cheesy for a 3rd grader, however, I know from glancing at it, that it has writing practice since this is a completely new alphabet. I have no idea what Code Cracker is, though. Does it also teach the alphabet? I'd assume so? :001_huh: But then, I'd assume GfC also introduces the alphabet? I know it's a year-long course, though. How long does Code Cracker last? Like a summer course, maybe?

I'd do Code Cracker and then GfC if you're comfortable with Greek pronunciation (There's currently not an audio/DVD set available-which is why I haven't started it yet). I can't see SSG appealing to 3rd-5th graders. It's certainly got enough content, but it's too "little kid" like. My 6 yr old enjoyed it, though. Biblical Greek 4 kids is another option (my DD was one of Ashlyn's beta testers),but again,it's very "little kid". You might want to check out Ashlyn's website for supplemental materials, though.

Code Cracker teaches the alphabet and decoding the SOUNDS of Greek, so you're pronouncing Greek letter combinations in order to turn them into English-language words to figure out the clues in the story. It's fun and silly. I would say maybe 1-2 months for GT 3rd-5th graders. My DD did it after SSG, which, in retrospect, was out of order-we should have done GCC first and gotten the alphabet solid, because while SSG introduces the letters and their sounds, they're introducing words simultaneously that use sounds not yet introduced.

The other options are Elementary Greek and Hey, Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek. If you go with Hey, Andrew, start with book 3 after GCC, because book 1 is GCC, and book 2 is the alphabet plus a SMALL number of words, which are reviewed at the start of book 3. Book 3 reviews the alphabet and the words previously taught quickly, and then starts to pick up the pace a bit. I haven't had a chance to look at Elementary Greek. I wish they had the DVD/audio for GFC, because I'm not confident enough to teach without it.

I thought Greek for Children moved very fast and expected the children to know a lot of English grammar to understand it. My son was frustrated with it in 3rd grade and we put it away and will try again this year. He had already completed Greek Code Cracker, which he loved, and he loves Greek and really wanted to do it, but it was just too hard and fast. I would not recommend it for a first exposure to Greek before 5th grade. The fact that the audio CD isn't out yet makes it even harder.

Code Cracker is really cute and fun but I'm not sure it has enough meat for a co-op. It is really easy and quick. I don't know about SSG personally but I would probably pick it over GfC or Code Cracker for a Co-op. It might be cheesy with the songs but you could probably make it fun for them and find supplemental activities online if you need. I looked into it for my younger kids but decided to wait until they were more solid with Spanish.

... DS is interested in the Greek alphabet; we're starting with SSG but I was thinking of ordering the Alphabetarion to aid .... I was curious if anybody has ideas for moving on to classical, as opposed to koine, Greek.

I hope this isn't hijacking; I'm being Toddlerized right this moment and can hardly think straight!

My kids did Greek Code Cracker at the start of last year and enjoyed it for a while, they were 3rd and 6th grade at the time (immature though). We dropped it to get back into Latin (LfC doing Primer A and B currently).

During his annual hs evaluation my oldest mentioned that he would like to learn Greek. I've talked to him and he is gungho about learning Greek and keeping up with the Latin. He is a bright 12 year old with Asperger's. He seems to have a knack for language, memorization and perhaps rhythm as it applies to sound. He learned to play the recorder last year and I've been shocked at how well he did, playing with rhythm and expression. He's asked to learn to play piano this year, we have a keyboard and a curriculum we will be starting this month. I mention this because I've heard/read that language and music skill/ability seem to have some connections and so I'm willing to go out on a limb to start with Greek.

I have no Greek background other than GCC...but I'm good with language as well and I'm excited to start this year!

Following this thread closely for suggestions for a 7th grader starting Koine Greek. :D