Menu

foodies/wine people - need help with a food pairing, pretty please

I have posted before that we are in a wine club. Each couple hosts how they want. For September our hosts are providing all the wines and guests are choosing the bottle they want to pair food with. So, I chose Buehler Vineyards Zinfandel, Napa Valley 2009. I am to bring a food dish to pair with this wine. I needs to be something that can primarily be prepared ahead of time and only warmed in their oven if possible.

Thanks!

Zinfandel pairs well with just about anything in my book :D. I would suggest something with fresh or roasted tomatoes and savory herbs. An elegant pizza with a garlic sauce topped with roasted small tomatoes (yellow, orange and red for lots of color) and basil and some great old shaved fresh parm on the top would be fun (kind of like a fancy-pants bruschetta).

I haven't tried the specific Zin you mention, but I might just have to go out and get some today and get back to you with what I ate :D.

Zinfandel pairs well with just about anything in my book :D. I would suggest something with fresh or roasted tomatoes and savory herbs. An elegant pizza with a garlic sauce topped with roasted small tomatoes (yellow, orange and red for lots of color) and basil and some great old shaved fresh parm on the top would be fun (kind of like a fancy-pants bruschetta).

I haven't tried the specific Zin you mention, but I might just have to go out and get some today and get back to you with what I ate :D.

I had googled around and had seen pizza mentioned in more than one place. Might just go that route!

I just read the tasting notes on my wine site - one person wrote specifically bean soup :)

Anyway - from what I'm reading, it is a lighter Zin, cherry, oak, vanilla - but with some noticable alcohol.

If the alcohol is noticable, (IMHO) you need to go with a stronger food to balance it out.

From what I can see, I'd go with something smoked or BBQ'ed- like - smoked salmon, bbq steak or ribs, etc. Another option would be a stronger meat that has been roasted. Maybe some kind of game like duck, pheasant, or venison.

You know, I went to the store this aft and looked for your wine, but I couldn't find it :-(. Anyway, I bought another Zin (a not very oaky one) and feel like a good puttanesca (with lots of capers and olives) would be awesome with it. No chicken, though, for sure. Maybe you could do a sauce like that and heat it up and cook the pasta when you get there?

You know, I went to the store this aft and looked for your wine, but I couldn't find it :-(. Anyway, I bought another Zin (a not very oaky one) and feel like a good puttanesca (with lots of capers and olives) would be awesome with it. No chicken, though, for sure. Maybe you could do a sauce like that and heat it up and cook the pasta when you get there?

This couple bought it while in Napa. They are showing videos from all the vineyards they visited. It is all going to be a bit over the top, IMO. At my house where he last had wine club, I prepared all the food pairing and everyone brought wine to go with my food. I did a stuffed pasta shell with an arrabiatta (sp?)sauce. So, kind of the same idea. I do love capers and olives!

I was thinking about some braised short ribs??