Menu

Saxon 5/4 math

Jolash

Is it possible to use the worksheets/tests book for the newer edition with the original edition workbook? My ds8 can easily do the math, but having to copy all the problems is taking up too much time and makes him so frustrated. I thought if I could buy the worksheets, it would alleviate that stress next year. TIA

You could . Some families use graph paper . Some let their child write in the book . Some ( me ) let their children use the dry erase book until they are ready to write it down on paper .

I know this method works great for my 10 yr old that uses Calvert 5th grade math . This is in textbook form and my 10yr old's handwriting is still a work in progress. I just pick and chose problems and have her do them on the dry erase board and she forgets that she's doing math :>) I just write the problem down and then let her work it . When she's done she needs to tell me and then we repeat the process. If she does well then we stop for the day . If she is having difficulty I sit and use the dry erase board to help her along . Much easier to do then using paper :>)

I allow my children to do the practice problems on dry erase (they do not consider this writing). My dd 9 uses the sheets that come with the book to do the problems. I really believe that writing the problem down correctly is part of the process. Sometimes she misses the problem b/c she copied it down incorrectly. If that is the case I write the problem correctly so that she just has to do the math and give her partial credit. My ds 11 still struggles with writing problems correctly. For years I didn't make him show all of his work but I regret it now. I have started giving him partial credit if he shows his work and he rarely makes mistakes this way. He is in 1/2 Algebra and I give him a graph paper notebook. My dd is looking forward to using one next year in 6/5 (she has neater penmanship so she is starting in a notebook earlier). Hope this is helpful!

Thanks! I've let him use a dry erase board during class time, but never thought to let him do his problems on them. And I like the idea of using the graph paper, so that at least the numbers line up! thanks again!

wanted to add.....

I didn't like the workbook when i looked at it: they practically had most of the steps and operations laid out, it was just fill in the numbers. i wanted ds to have to figure out how to set up the problem and what step would come next.

i ended up using graph paper and copying most of the problem set for him. He had to set up his own word problems, but I copied the basic arithmetic problems so all he had to do was solve. His fine motor skills are taking a while to really develop --i can see it in his penmanship too.

i copied about 30 lessons in one weekend. In essence, making my own "workbook" for him. By about lesson 60, he was copying his own problems cuz he didn't want to have to wait for me to set up his paper. I haven't made a page for him at all since then.

he JUST finished the book the other day and we'll be launching into 65 next week. But yeah-- the graph paper is a huge plus!!

Do you have a place where you buy graph paper in bulk? At Walmart, they only sell a small pack (about 25-50 sheets, I guess). I saw in the Saxon Test book that they had a graph paper page set up for the textbook problems that could be copied. But, I don't really want to use that much printer ink.