Menu

a question for all the jam/jelly makers out there...

Guest Virginia Dawn

Nope, you don't use any sweetener at all, and there is no sugar in the pectin. I've never used it before, but I've had strawberry jam made with it, it is delicious. Imagine homemade polaner all-fruit.

When I make strawberry jam, I use the no sugar pectin. I make a lo sugar recipe that stays in the freezer. There is a no sugar recipe in the box. I'd follow that, but don't think I'd use splenda as a sugar substitute in jelly making.

Why have I been paying for store bought jelly all these years?? My first go at jam-making turned out pretty well and it wasn't as labor intensive as I thought. It was a little trial and error...I initially only put about 4 inches of water in the pan to boil the jars after filled but I soon realized that the water needs to "cover" the entire jar. My husband and I also debated how high to fill the jars so I relented and let handle that part :D.

I found a Splenda/Sugar blend at the store and used it. You only use 1/2 of amount of sugar called for and it had a nice flavor. Now, I think I'm onto blueberry jam...I just need to find some more jars!

The no-sugar pectin/Sure-Gel has dextrose listed as the first ingredient, even before pectin.

Does anyone know how dextrose is made/refined and how it impacts our blood sugar as opposed to refined cane sugar? I'd love to make jam with less sugar, but I'm not sure dextrose is any better even if it is a smaller amount, kwim?