Menu

MFW WHL....what topic did your child choose for the Research paper?

we're in week 2 and dealing with writing a play. My oldest said "I dont know about research paper yet... one thing at a time.":lol::lol:

She hasn't thought about it yet. Part of thinks she should do a research paper on something related to driver's ed since she thinks she wants her license next month.

-crystal

I hate that DD has to pull a topic out of the sky in Week 3 to do a research paper. That's why I was thinking of doing LLLoTR after DD has to write play in Week 2. There is a research paper toward the end of LLoTR after the student has marinated in their literary analysis week after week. It seems more natural to write about a theme that comes out of the literature. And since MFW doesn't assign any books until (I believe) week 11 maybe I can do this before she has to read MFW literture. However, I can't afford LLoTR right now so I don't know what I'm going to do but I still think I'm going to move the research paper for later in the year.

I hate that DD has to pull a topic out of the sky in Week 3 to do a research paper. That's why I was thinking of doing LLLoTR after DD has to write play in Week 2. There is a research paper toward the end of LLoTR after the student has marinated in their literary analysis week after week. It seems more natural to write about a theme that comes out of the literature. And since MFW doesn't assign any books until (I believe) week 11 maybe I can do this before she has to read MFW literture. However, I can't afford LLoTR right now so I don't know what I'm going to do but I still think I'm going to move the research paper for later in the year.

I think your plan is do-able.

Or, if you want to stick to the MFW guide, and want the research to be about literature, there is Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in the first weeks. I would think between Shakespeare and Caesar, there would be *something* to research :)

But I didn't get the impression that literature must be the topic of research. In fact, I don't really consider literature to be a good topic for "research." Although, I'm sure someone could prove me wrong on that! Generally, "research" means you are digging in and finding out things about a topic, organizing them, and presenting them. You haven't necessarily learned about the topic, although maybe learned about the general subject, but then delve into a detail.

Did you do AHL? I can't remember if you did. AHL teaches the argumentative essay, which is perfect for writing about literature.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

hmmm... . thinking out loud with you and looking in the lesson plans.

I like the notes that are in WHL, week 3, Monday about how to help them decide on a topic. It says "The key here, especially for the reluctant researcher, is to guide your students to a topic of their interest. Personal interest will be the greatest motivation for research. An example would be a student who is a sports enthusiast choosing a topic related to his or her favorite sport......"

They have on Monday to think about it. Parents are to help narrow the topic a bit.But it's on Wednesday of the week where a topic is selected.

So it doesn't have to relate to literature at all. It's expected that it is parent guided a bit to help them get something they are interested in. It's a research paper, not an argumentative essay to discuss literature themes. It's Writing lessons. If needed, it could be tied in with something from Health book, or science, or current events, or sports.

And, MFW assigns Julius Caesar during the first 2 weeks of WHL. That's completed prior to week 3. So they've read that book, and had plenty of Bible reading too. So, even if one preferred that the research come from literature themes, those are possibilities as well. I mean, just today my oldest came in from her history and Bible reading with some insights in Roman culture and the significance of palm branches as symbols. wow. That could be a fun topic to research -- victory symbols in politics/religion. something like that.

-crystal

Julie, no I haven't done AHL. It's not that I want the research to be literature related. I've never read Toilken (sp?) but apparently there are lots of themes that come out of his books that could be further researched. So the fact that we are doing literary analysis brings about philosophical, cultural, and religious issues that a research topic could come out of.

But like I said since I won't be purchasing LLoTR anytime soon we may have to get a topic from Julius Caesar or the bible reading like cbollin so wonderfully pointed out.

However, DD may surprise me and come up with something on her own. I'll have to wait and see. I still don't like the idea of jumping into a research paper so soon in the academic year. We have to get our brains warmed up first:tongue_smilie:

I know week 3 seems soon, but then again, I'm glad it's not getting buried in the busier parts of the year. I know things sometimes don't get done later on in the year. And I trust that Marie Hazell allows the proper amount of time in the rest of the schedule to make this do-able.

We'll all have to share what works and what doesn't as we go along.

Julie

My dd just finished WHL. She chose to write about honey bees. I am horrible about choosing topics myself, so I suggested she write about something she wanted to learn more about. She has always wanted our family to have bee hives and thought this might encourage us to get on the ball! It worked and since we all learned so much from her research, we are going to have our own honey! Choosing to research something she was interested in really helped her stay motivated while learning the ropes to research papers.