Menu

Is there anything from YOUR school days that you are implementing for your dc?

7th grade Science teacher had us explore the grounds around our school and create a field guide to all the trees.

12th grade English teach gave bonus points for finding references in our society to the classic books we read in class. To this day, I can not hear or see a reference to 'Big Brother' without wanting to tell him. This taught me to look for how literature can influence the world around us.

My kids will never start an answer to a question with the word 'they'. History teacher in middle school couldn't stand it. We had to write the name of the person/group every time.

Kindergarten: Foreign language, singing, rest time.

Elementary: Not much.

Junior high: Shop class, home economics, poetry memorization, and a system of using index cards to organize material for essays, with one card per citation (I used this all through college, but can’t remember the specifics, and none of the systems I’ve found online are a match. Links to something that sounds like this would be appreciated!)

High school: Too much to list. It was a good school, though it could have been better in some areas. For now, though, just the oversized teacher sitting on the edge of her desk and toppling it over. :tongue_smilie:

In 5th grade we had to learn a song that put all the states in alphabetical order. I still sing it in my head sometimes when I'm trying to remember the states!

I don't think I had a very good education until I got to high school. There were VERY high expectations for us at that high school, but there was also compassion and understanding about individual limitations. We were also encouraged to speak up as much as possible, to not be afraid to ask questions, and to figure out how to answer our own questions (through additional research, or finding an expert to ask). The school also worked very hard to make sure we understood that there was a wider world: we took field trips frequently, and every week we had a guest speaker who was well known or an expert about something or other. These things really taught us a lot about the wider world, and introduced us to subjects and ideas that most high schoolers are not introduced to.

I just found my old 5th grade English teacher on Facebook! :party:

Assuming that he accepts my "friend" request, I'm going to ask him if he still has a copy of the "very words" list. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Did he accept your friend request? Did you get the list? Sounds like an awesome resource!

Not much, I had a really boring homeschool education that I have mixed feelings about. I definitely want to homeschool when the time comes, but do it better. I do want the emphasis on high standards and rigor but I want to tailor the education to each of my children and be an actual teacher and partner in my kids learning.

One thing we did a lot was travel when I was young and I want my kids to have that experience for sure.

There is only one thing that I remember from my school days that I would want to incorporate. In middle school we had a wonderful paragraph writing class. What I learned in that class was the single most helpful thing for college essay tests. Even my snobby Harvard educated history professor commented on my essays. I wish I had kept the book.

OK, don't judge my writing skills by the way I write on forums. :lol:

edited to add: momma2three, I learned the state song too. "Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, la, la, la,..."

Edited by mom2scouts
add something