Menu

Logic stage or just annoying?

My dd9 has recently started questioning everything I do. I know that she's just trying to understand the "why" behind my decisions, but it's still driving me crazy. She has always liked to have the order of the day's events in her head but lately it seems like she is questioning more why we do things when or how we do them. Is this a logic stage thing or is it just a "kids can ask too many questions for mom sometimes" thing? She is entering 4th grade in the fall and I haven't gotten any logic for her to do this year. Should I get her something to work on her logic skills or just wait for 5th grade? Or maybe I'm just subconsciously looking to buy more materials since I'm technically done purhasing for the school year :tongue_smilie:

Just annoying. Of course, I think "logic stage" thinking peaks more in the 7th-8th grade range, so that colors my response.

I make sure to give running commentary to my dc when I am willing, which is much of the time. They know if I am not doing so, it's because I am either too busy right now or it's none of their business, and they don't ask. There is NO way I am going to spend my day answering "Why are you doing ______?" or the more popular (with my dd) "Well, don't you think we should do ______?" As they have gotten older, they have had stages several times where they went through a phase of trying to analyze or question me, or times of tryint to tell me what to do, because they start thinking they know it all. I squash that, because it sets the stage for an adversarial relationship, but I use it as a sign to give them more authority over some other area (taking charge of when and how the dishes are done, being put in charge of animals, etc.)

That said, if it is her personality to know a schedule (someone is probably going to post and say that means she's probably Autistic, just to warn you :D,) I would help her to make her own schedule for the day. That's a quality to encourage. If you know what is going on for the week, you can give her a list and let her start scheduling her time. I usually don't focus on that until 6th or 7th grade or so, but you might as well capiatlize on her interest.

Probably just "annoying". ;) But there are plenty of fun puzzle books and such that you could buy her in the faint hope that she'll become absorbed and quit harassing you for at least a few minutes here and there. ;) Mindware has lots of good ones -- Perplexors and Grid Perplexors, etc -- and there are some fun logic materials at Prufrock. I don't consider them "school" or "logic" in the classical sense, but they're still a lot of fun and can help kids learn to slow down and think through questions. :)

Yep, I've definitely noticed a big uptake in questioning and know-it-all attitude as my DD has gotten closer to the age of 9. I suspect that it's hormonal as she seems like she's in the very, very early stages of puberty. Oh, goodie! :glare:

I think that the 3 stages are a continuum, and logic-stage thinking develops gradually rather than abruptly.

As I have researched this, around late 4th grade and 5th grade the questioning starts. The approach or the attitude that accompanies the child may very well necessitate a grounding or two and be called annoying.

However, as mentioned above, the actual development beyond this initial stage truly peaks around the 7th grade for most children.

I like the "prove it" stage! I get to send them to time out at the age of 10 and watch their eyes roll!:lol:

I vote for logic stage and annoying. Seriously I saw all of the questioning start around nine as well. She had always asked lots of questions but now she started questioning me. At 12, it has definitely gotten worse. I have gradually added in logic stage questions to our literature and history but nothing formal. Now, in 7th grade, we are diving in to formal logic stuff. It feels like the right timing.