Menu

classical studies

mo2

Classical Studies

This year we are doing Greek Myths for classical studies - we mostly just read the myths aloud, and sometimes we do an Evan Moor Literature Pocket to go with it. LCC has a plan for classical studies, which suggests the Memoria Press workbooks for FMOG and FMR , and then in the older grades goes into meatier readings from Ancient Greece and Rome.

Classical Studies

This year we are doing Greek Myths for classical studies - we mostly just read the myths aloud, and sometimes we do an Evan Moor Literature Pocket to go with it. LCC has a plan for classical studies, which suggests the Memoria Press workbooks for FMOG and FMR , and then in the older grades goes into meatier readings from Ancient Greece and Rome.

How do you spread this out over an entire year? It doesn't seem like it would take that long.

We are meshing LCC guidelines with those of the Highlands Latin School curriculum. Because we started late (4th and 5th) we are playing catch up. We are studying D'Aulaire's Greek Myths with the MP guide during our classical studies/literature time and devoting one Latin class per week to Famous Men of Rome along with the MP guide.

This year I am reading Atticus the Storyteller's 100 Greek Myths to my K and 1st.

For my 4th and 6th, we're just doing medieval studies this year. Last year we read FMoR and FMoG, and D'Aulaire's. Next year we may try reading the Iliad.

For medieval studies, along wtih general medieval history and literature, I am making sure they read Favorite Medieval Tales, Tales from the Mabinogion, Norse myths, and some fairy tales.

Well, we study Latin.

And during our ancient cycle of history, we read Greek and Roman mythology heavily. We also read mythology and folk tales from the rest of the world during other cycles of history.

During fifth grade (next year for my younger son), we will be reading from several sources about what mythology is and how it is analyzed.

We also study logic (beginning in fifth grade), and when we get to seventh grade and the early modern period and study the beginnings of modern philosophy, we will also look back at the beginnings of philosophy in ancient Greece (I have a book I love for that).

That's about all I can think of right now that we do,

Regena

We also study logic (beginning in fifth grade), and when we get to seventh grade and the early modern period and study the beginnings of modern philosophy, we will also look back at the beginnings of philosophy in ancient Greece (I have a book I love for that).

Regena

Would you mind sharing? :)

Usually we just read a book and discuss it. Ambleside Online usually has some myth books listed in their suggestions. Last year we read The Wonder Book from the AO list. I think this year the myth suggestion is Heroes by Charles Kingsley. We are also doing D'Aulaires Greek Myths. When we are finished that then we will start on Heroes.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

The philosophy book? It's called An Introduction to Greek Philosophy, by J.V. Luce.

I initially checked it out from the library to look at regarding a religious study I've been doing and I liked it so much I looked one up on Half.com to use next time we do philosophy.

My older son used it some with his classes last year, too.

I got it for next to nothing!

Regena

How do you spread this out over an entire year? It doesn't seem like it would take that long.

Well, we are only half way through our myths book - we only read one myth per week (and occasionally miss a week b/c of extra curric). It is not hard to do this slowly, D'Aulaires actually requires reading several per week to finish in a year. We are using Child's Book of Myths, so I read one per week, we talk about it some, but it is not somthing we spend lots of time on. The point is, every year you spend a little time each week on Greece and Rome, instead of relegating it to a once every four years study.

Usually we just read a book and discuss it. Ambleside Online usually has some myth books listed in their suggestions. Last year we read The Wonder Book from the AO list. I think this year the myth suggestion is Heroes by Charles Kingsley. We are also doing D'Aulaires Greek Myths. When we are finished that then we will start on Heroes.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

We are using Wonderbook this year as part of our literature/English Studies, it has been a great complement to the Child's Book of Myths - Anne Marie