Menu

gmail problems

My dd had a gmail account for the last 2 years. Last time she tried to get on it, it says she's not old enough and unless we change her birthdate the acct will be deleted in 30 days. I was going to change the date to make her old enough, but it's asking for either a credit card # that will be charged $30 or you can click on a form to fax a copy of a gov issued ID.

Try another browser and see if the same thing comes up? Try another computer and see if the same thing comes up?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=50270

This will take you to a page about your account being compromised. It sounds to me like this is your problem, since it sounds like it's a problem with your account and not just a suspicious email.

GMail is free, no charges whatsoever. So this is fraudulent.

I didn't click on the link you posted, because I don't trust it not to be a phishing link itself.

I went to the site and I'm not finding any mailing information nor fax information. I'm not comfortable with it at all.

Is she able to just start over with a new account?

It's only asking for a thirty cent cc card to be restored in minutes, but I'd only even try that with a prepaid cc from a drug store or something if you happen to have one around, but not one attached to a bank. No way.

According to my husband, who works for Google, this is real.

US law requires special rules for any information associated with children under 13, so Google doesn't have a lot of choice in the matter. This is cropping up a lot recently because of Google+, which requires people to give a birthdate to sign up. The thirty cent charge is basically "yes I have a credit card that works" and proves that there's an adult controlling the account.

Jen can you ask why there is no mailing instructions or fax instructions on that page? That has me really puzzled.

Does it only show up if the person who's account is frozen is attempting to log in?

I couldn't find a certificate on the page either, but my McAfee said the site was fine. So I am a bit lost there too.

That's cool that you can confirm this is real.

According to my husband, who works for Google, this is real.

US law requires special rules for any information associated with children under 13, so Google doesn't have a lot of choice in the matter. This is cropping up a lot recently because of Google+, which requires people to give a birthdate to sign up. The thirty cent charge is basically "yes I have a credit card that works" and proves that there's an adult controlling the account.

Is this something that's recently changed? She's had the acct for 2 yrs so it's bothering me that she's suddenly not old enough to have it.

I have gmail and have not had a problem with it. It's not my main email though, I use the one from my service provider for anything important. The gmail I save for groups and other things that might send out spam.

This is me talking. He has gone to work. (Not official in any way)

The law isn't new. Gmail didn't use to collect birthdate information. Google was trying to not have this problem. They are now being forced to collect the information and treat it according to this law.

No mailing instructions and no fax instructions are so Google doesn't get hammered with paper and faxes. They don't want to be doing this at all. They don't want to collect the information. It would only be a problem for the one account, so I think it would only show up there.

They have to deal with the accounts as they find out about them. If your kids have accounts and Google never knows they are under 13 then they don't know.

This is me talking. He has gone to work. (Not official in any way)

The law isn't new. Gmail didn't use to collect birthdate information. Google was trying to not have this problem. They are now being forced to collect the information and treat it according to this law.

No mailing instructions and no fax instructions are so Google doesn't get hammered with paper and faxes. They don't want to be doing this at all. They don't want to collect the information. It would only be a problem for the one account, so I think it would only show up there.

They have to deal with the accounts as they find out about them. If your kids have accounts and Google never knows they are under 13 then they don't know.

Thanks :) They've had accounts since gmail was still in beta. We will obviously not sign them up with G+ so hopefully the accounts can just sit until they are old enough for them then.

But one thing that's bothering me is that when I created this acct for her, I had to make her old enough to have the acct. So unless they've changed the minimum age recently, I don't see why she wouldn't be 'old enough' to have the acct by their records.