Menu

Kitty advice needed!

We have an 11 week old kitten, and just last night we brought home a second kitten, 8 weeks old, to be his playmate. Whenever I allow them together in the same room, the 11 week old constantly tackles, holds down, kicks, and bites the younger kitten. (He did this with a stuffed animal before we got the kitten.) He bites him right on the throat, which makes me really nervous. Neither kitten hisses or acts angry, so I'm not sure if this is playing or fighting? The little one does sometimes meow in pain, so when that happens I interrupt and separate them, taking one of them to another room if necessary. Or if the biting goes on too long, and the little kitten can't get away at all, I'll break that up as well. I want them to bond and love each other, and I'm afraid the little one might get hurt!

We haven't owned cats before, and I'm wondering if I am handling this correctly? Any suggestions?

Erica

but since one is a little bigger than the other, i'd also separate them if one is making noises of protest! come to think of it, i sometimes have to do that with my grown up kitties. sometimes stubby (no tail, male) plays a little too rough for sweet little silva (very shy girl). although i usually just whomp him on the head and yell "stop that" instead of being as nice as you! :D

but since one is a little bigger than the other, i'd also separate them if one is making noises of protest! come to think of it, i sometimes have to do that with my grown up kitties. sometimes stubby (no tail, male) plays a little too rough for sweet little silva (very shy girl). although i usually just whomp him on the head and yell "stop that" instead of being as nice as you! :D

They do love to play rough. If neither is hissing or growling, then they are playing. But I'd break it up if one appears to be hurt. My grown up kitties play like this still, and occasionally things do degenerate into a real fight.

Michelle T

Sounds like they are play-fighting - also the older kitty is establishing his dominance. Think of it as an older brother tackling a younger sibling ;)

JFS - mom to four cats at the moment....I've had cats since before I was born (there is a photo of my preggers mom with a cat on her "lap")