Menu

DIY cursive program?

d.g.

My 7yo DS is starting 2nd grade in a month. Currently we're on 1/2 days, working on finishing up a few things from last year and reviewing math before we move on.

Out of the blue, DS asked me to teach him cursive "so he could write faster". I'm not against the idea, because I was planning on introducing cursive in January anyway. I just don't have the money to buy anything else right now.

Here's what I've figured out so far that doesn't require me to buy anything:

-- cursive writing pages from a BrainQuest Gr. 2 workbook

-- cursive writing pages from Crayola.com, printed and laminated back-to-back for dry-erase writing

-- later on, printed out cursive copywork pages collected from just about everywhere, and/or Momma-made copywork pages

Do you think this is enough for now? I don't want to miss this window of interest just because we're short on funds, but I don't want to find out later that we missed something big, either. What do you think? Any ideas for FREE cursive resources that I might have missed?

Here's what I've figured out so far that doesn't require me to buy anything:

-- cursive writing pages from a BrainQuest Gr. 2 workbook

-- cursive writing pages from Crayola.com, printed and laminated back-to-back for dry-erase writing

-- later on, printed out cursive copywork pages collected from just about everywhere, and/or Momma-made copywork pages

Do you think this is enough for now?

Yes.

Just make sure that the letters are formed the same way from each thing you use from online or whatever to avoid confusion.

If you have a large dry-erase board, let him have a dry-erase marker and make large loops, curves, etc. for some early practice. Dollar Tree has some small dry-erase boards there lately, along with a 4-pack of black dry-erase markers. I also like to let my child use one of those roller-ball pens to play around with on notebook paper, as there is not as much resistance with that as from a leaded pencil.

Can you get The Writing Road to Reading from your library?It includes the most concise cursive curriculum that I have ever seen that looks like it will work. I scanned and printed the pages and am testing them out now. I think the very exact script for how to draw each letter might actually be enough to be able to skip pages and pages of workbook pages.

I can't get anything interesting at my library, let alone anything curriculum-related. Their selection is horrible. They're also not too keen on doing inter-library loan -- by the time you get the book, you can usually only keep it for a week, no renewals, and $1 a day late fees.

I like the idea of the Donna Young composition book lessons. I even have a few of those notebooks hanging around in the school supply box. Thanks for the suggestion, mtcougar832!

As for dry erase boards, we LOVE them and each have our own in addition to our larger "school" board. For some reason, I can get DS to do things on the board that he'd never do if I asked him to write with pencil and paper.

Have you tried using the library in a neighboring town? I've done that sometimes.

WRTR is MUCH more readily available than most curricula. It's required reading for many students. It's as available as TWTM in many bookstores and libraries. I recommended it because of how easy it should be to get it.

I can't get to *any* other libraries right now. I'm carless, since we're a one-car family and DH is working away from home just to bring in enough to cover our bills (barely, and only with juggling). Even the library here in town is a 2-mile walk each way, and in this heat, that's not happening!

That's why I'm looking for free resources and ideas...I can't get anywhere, and I can't buy anything. :(

What you have listed out sounds fine. I don't think there's any big gap in cursive instruction. There are different ways to do it, but I can't imagine that one way is TONS better than any other way. As long as each source you are taking from is showing how to form the letters the same way.

I'm just using the StartWrite program and creating my own pages. They aren't fancy, but they work. I put them in a page protector so he can practice with dry erase first (but don't have to waste all my laminating sheets on them).

Go with what you've got. He'll be fine!

D.G. did you get my private message?

I understand about being carless :-( I'm assuming that you must ration your printing? I can link you to prepared curricula that requires printing, but am not sure that will help? I'll try and remember to do that later on tonight when I can access the links stored on my laptop, just in case you want them, but they are ink guzzlers. Whereas the WRTR method will only require printing out a few pages and then orally TELLING your student EXACTLY how to form each letter as they write on cheap scrap paper.

Edited by Hunter

D.G. did you get my private message?

I understand about being carless :-( I'm assuming that you must ration your printing? I can link you to prepared curricula that requires printing, but am not sure that will help? I'll try and remember to do that later on tonight when I can access the links stored on my laptop, just in case you want them, but they are ink guzzlers. Whereas the WRTR method will only require printout a few pages and then orally telling your student EXACTLY how to form each letter as they write on cheap scrap paper.

I just noticed the message. Responding by email. :001_smile:

If you like this font, there are quite a few free websites using it...but...it'll get expensive for the ink :-(

http://www.biblestoryprintables.com/BibleCopyworkABC.html

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/cursive.html

http://www.spellingcity.com/handwriting.html

If you decide to go with this font and can afford to print, make sure you e-mail me again.

Thanks for the help, ladies! I really appreciate the PMs & emails.

I'm off to bury myself in these suggestions and work out what will suit us best!

Ink is expensive. Hmmm...would it be tacky to ask for printer ink for my b-day????

I am using the pages from this site that I printed & laminated several months ago. I like how they teach each letter incrementally.

You could view the pages online & use a whiteboard instead.

This blog has links to several free handwriting worksheet generators plus HUNDREDS of links to other free sites for every subject/theme you could think of!

Edited to say the links to the other subjects are about 2/3 the way down the page on the right (sorry about that).

Cindy

Edited by savmom
add info

I am using the pages from this site that I printed & laminated several months ago. I like how they teach each letter incrementally.

These are very good. They are similar to Cursive First. There is something to be said for always starting the letters on the bottom line. A mom should decide EXACTLY where each letter should be started and include that in the verbal script that she recites and that the child repeats.

As I perfect the verbal script I am memorizing for each letter, gleaned from multiple programs, I find it impossible to use any worksheets or fonts, anymore, so I wouldn't be too quick to hit "print" if a mom is rationing ink.

The order in which the letters are taught here is useful, and can be applied to most handwriting curricula.