Menu

How much paper comes home during the year?

I know, it's just me...but I get really exasperated on the issue of papers that come home.

I'm cool to read the read the black and white worksheets, the handwriting, the fill ins, and all of that....but...

When I get full glossy sheets, catalogs, I feel this small shudder of insanity go through me. I know this stuff is expensive. It's unnecessary to get get the message across.

Man I never had nothin' like that when I wuz a kid! (spelling intentional :chillpill: lol)

Anyway, I'm also a *concerned parent* when it comes to the issue of the overuse of digital media or reliance on digital anything. It's a tricky balancing act.

Every once in a while, I'll read about technology in the classroom; how it's used and not used-and these little sparks of insight happen.

I do remember a story about once-upon-are-time this reform movement for "wiring all our schools"; you know, the gig about keeping American children to the "new" standards blah blah...well...there was one story in particular where a gazillion dollars were spent in this impoverished school.

Big Plans.

Gonna wire this joint. Gonna get the kids up to speed. Gonna see BIG changes. Sky is the limit.

The big day came when all these fancy computers were brought into the school, big meetings were set, staff had been trained..yadda yadda.

They went to hook the machines up and guess what.

All 2 prong outlets.

All the computers were 3 prong with ground.

Oops. Someone missed that little detail. Anyway.

I found another story like that again, and just had to share. Two resources:

1. http://education.nationaljournal.com/

2. http://teachpaperless.blogspot.com/2009/12/21-things-that-will-become-obsolete-in.html

I'm all for less paper, but no paper classrooms period? Holy cow.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

The boys' school is low-tech and not concerned about it. They have computer labs and computer science lessons, the children learn to make power point presentations, but most of the work is book reading and essay writing. This is partly a consequence of the UK high school system: we have public exams rather than transcripts and they are mostly essay-based rather than multi-choice. This forces schools to teach writing.

Now I think that the public exam boards should allow people to write their exams on word processors - currently this is only allowed for people with some form of disability - but otherwise I am in favour of the paper-based system.

As for paper from the school: almost all communications come home by email. I sometimes get printed end-of-term reports, and once a year I get a (black-and-white) rules book and a (colour but not glossy) newsletter. That seems fine to me.

Laura

Those are some really interesting thoughts.

It's so cool to hear from people who are living it, that's where the fine details come into light.

Something so small such as not having to turn your back as an instructor as an element...how much that can change the course of teaching..eye contact/body language/discipline..all of it.

Really neat, thanks for that.

• 4 weeks later...