Menu

Don't know much about Brussel Sprouts. Do they freeze well &

if you freeze yours, do they stay firm enough to roast in the oven later or are they mushy and have to be boiled?

My mom only served plain, boiled brussel sprouts growing up. So, I developed a real distaste. But the local Amish farmer that I buy from may have a bumper crop and the price could be low. I've seen a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts with garlic, maple syrup, and bacon which sounds very intriguing so I'm just wondering...........

Faith

Since you can buy them frozen, I'd say you can, I just don't know how--whether you'd blanch them first, or what.

I've had roasted brussel sprouts, and they were really good. I haven't been quite able to duplicate it exactly, but this is what my friend does (this is with storebought frozen): First, she either leaves the bag out to thaw a bit, or warms them in the bag in the microwave. If they're still partially frozen, it takes much longer in the oven. Then she puts them in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzles them with oil. Stir/toss a bit to distribute the oil. Use a coarse salt seasoning blend, like one that has a salt grinder attached. I don't remember which one she had. Broil on the top rack. I don't remember how long it takes, I just keep checking until they look done.

We love brussel sprouts (rather my hubbie and I love them.) My favorite recipe used to involve bacon, but we gave it up last year. My favorite recipe comes from a friend of mine here:

http://veganizingfun.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-new-favorite-veggie-brussel-sprouts.html

I have never found sorghum, but rather use brown rice syrup and 2 T. of olive oil instead of 1/4 cup. They're so yummy. I still want to try them with sorghum. I bet they're even better that way.

As far as freezing them, I'm guessing they would still be good. Of course, nothing is ever as good as fresh. When I roast them, I cut them in half, so maybe you could cut them up. I think they cook more evenly that way. I doubt they'd get mushy if you froze them though. They can get pricey. I did find them at Trader Joe's for 2.50 a lb which is the cheapest I have ever found them.

We love brussel sprouts (rather my hubbie and I love them.) My favorite recipe used to involve bacon, but we gave it up last year. My favorite recipe comes from a friend of mine here:

http://veganizingfun.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-new-favorite-veggie-brussel-sprouts.html

I have never found sorghum, but rather use brown rice syrup and 2 T. of olive oil instead of 1/4 cup. They're so yummy. I still want to try them with sorghum. I bet they're even better that way.

As far as freezing them, I'm guessing they would still be good. Of course, nothing is ever as good as fresh. When I roast them, I cut them in half, so maybe you could cut them up. I think they cook more evenly that way. I doubt they'd get mushy if you froze them though. They can get pricey. I did find them at Trader Joe's for 2.50 a lb which is the cheapest I have ever found them.

That sounds yummy, thanks. I can get sorghum here at a Mennonite Bulk Foods store so I may give that a try. I wonder if you could buy it online.

Faith

We tried brussels sprouts for the first time last week and LOVED them!! My youngest ate two helpings of them. (she picked them out at the commissary)

I patted them dry, tossed them with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt and roasted them at high heat (350 or 400?) for about 20-30 minutes checking often and shaking the pan.

Sooo good! I had only had either frozen or canned when I was a kid and they were horrid! I sat there for HOURS refusing to eat them.

I harvested a bunch last year -- but we'd already had a hard freeze, so I just threw them in the freezer as is without blanching (and without letting them thaw).

They weren't quite as tasty as fresh, but I thought they were still edible. (My husband refused to eat them, saying they had an off flavor, but as he didn't even taste them, I'm not sure how he came by this information.)

However, those ones that were frozen, I should point out, had probably been sitting on the plants a little too long, so it's hard to say why they were of somewhat lower quality.

And I can't remember now if they were still firm enough to roast.

The frozen ones I've gotten at the store have been AWFUL. The ones that froze in our garden were better.

You might also just consider storing them in your vegetable drawer for awhile. We had them in there for a number of weeks one year, and they were actually better than the ones that got frozen. We ended up eating the last of them on Christmas. I think we'd picked them in early October.

if you freeze yours, do they stay firm enough to roast in the oven later or are they mushy and have to be boiled?

My mom only served plain, boiled brussel sprouts growing up. So, I developed a real distaste. But the local Amish farmer that I buy from may have a bumper crop and the price could be low. I've seen a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts with garlic, maple syrup, and bacon which sounds very intriguing so I'm just wondering...........

Faith

When is brussel sprout season?

My DB hated brussel sprouts until he had them shredded and sauteed (sp?) in bacon fat. Then the bacon itself was chopped up and mixed w/ the sprouts.