Menu

Scheduling problems and need some input

kandty

I have run across a weird problem in my scheduling. :lol: I have two different ways of scheduling our lesson and I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I could do short lessons in all subjects every day. This is pretty much what we have done in the past, but only math was 5x a week and other lessons were 4x a week. This works ok, but when we are doing everything I want we are doing a good 9-10 different subjects a day and that make me feel overwhelmed. In the past after about a month of this I start cutting back our work (and this is were I feel like we end up not doing enough at the end). I thought I would do 5-7 subjects a day and double our time spent on the subjects. Instead of history/geography everyday we would do that or religion study. I really like this idea, but I am afraid that spending 40 or more minutes on a subject at once will drive us crazy too. I am really split on this and I am looking for suggestions or feeback. I have to get this problem fixed today so I can get our schedule down and maybe have to rearrange our lessons plans since I have already set our schedule up for the every subject, every day (and looking at our lesson planner scares me!) I think I should just give the long lesson, less day way a try since we can always change it. I only have our first 9 weeks of lessons written (in pencil), so it would easy to give it a trial run. But, who knows! :001_huh:

Ps-I already know I am guility of overthinking the issue . . . . welcome to my world. :lol:

I only have one year of hs'ing under my belt, but I am a planner/organizer/overthinker and I have ran through your situation in my head before :001_smile:

What are your subjects and how much time do you want spent on them?

Maybe will it help you to make a master list of subjects and that amount of time you want to spend in total per week on each subject and then break it down a few ways and see what works?

There may be subjects that you only require an hour total a week and you could handle two half hour sessions twice a week. I would write down what HAS to be done everyday and then how often orhow long the rest need done and go from there.

To me, I would go nuts trying to do all of them everyday...it just seems like a lot of jumping around, but thats just me. Also, I dont want to to spend a straight hour on Science so I would do it twice a week at half an hour, that way it is broken up and you are not doing the same thing every single day, but you arent going too long either

HTH

I've done both ways at different times, and I'd say it depends on your DC. My oldest could easily focus on history for an hour at a time but has a much shorter attention span for science reading. If I had tried longer sessions of either with DS last year, his eyes would have glazed over, and he would have zoned out, so we did a little of each every day.

Personally, I'd just offer them both options and let them choose. Mine prefer variety and voted for shorter lessons.

I only have one year of hs'ing under my belt, but I am a planner/organizer/overthinker and I have ran through your situation in my head before :001_smile:

What are your subjects and how much time do you want spent on them?

Maybe will it help you to make a master list of subjects and that amount of time you want to spend in total per week on each subject and then break it down a few ways and see what works?

There may be subjects that you only require an hour total a week and you could handle two half hour sessions twice a week. I would write down what HAS to be done everyday and then how often orhow long the rest need done and go from there.

To me, I would go nuts trying to do all of them everyday...it just seems like a lot of jumping around, but thats just me. Also, I dont want to to spend a straight hour on Science so I would do it twice a week at half an hour, that way it is broken up and you are not doing the same thing every single day, but you arent going too long either

HTH

:001_smile: I set up a trial run schedule this afternoon and it was small amount of tweaking from our original schedule I did last month. 7 subjects a day and 4 of them I alternate with two days each. This is Monday through Thursday and Friday is for art/music and extra history and/or science lesson as needed. I am excited to see how it works out. I know I could not have pulled this off when my oldest was younger, but we will see how it turns out. And my youngest was asking for longer lessons last year (well only in subjects he liked which changed daily).

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Still listening if anyone else wants to share.

I plan pretty much everything every day. Some things we only do 2 or 3 times a week, but mostly there are 4 boxes a week for every subject.

BUT often we work across our schedule instead of up and down. So it is possible that they might spend extra time on one subject and we will mark off two "days" worth, and not get to everything to day as long as we completed enough boxes to count as a day.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided that this year I was not going to be stressed out so I took the subjects the girls didn't score well on their standardized test and put those subjects to doing everyday. Those would be math, spelling and reading. Three days a week are history, Bible, grammar. Two days aweek are vocabulary, science, Spanish, and writing. I refuse to be stressed out like I was last year