Menu

collecting personal referrals/recommendations for your high schooler

I'm just beginning to do this for my soon to be 10th grade son. I want to keep a notebook/portfolio with write-ups from any jobs, volunteer opportunities, etc..

He's coming to the end of his 100 hrs. of volunteer service at the local VA hospital, and I'd like to get his supervisors to provide some written feedback that would be suitable to include in his portfolio for college.

Do any of you have a form you'd be willing to share that you use for such things? Questions that help guide the employer/supervisor in providing feedback? Or even a list of questions that you've used would be helpful. Thanks!

Lisa

We just got an amazing letter from the VBS director where my ds volunteered this summer. I didn't use a form, but here's what I wrote to her when asking for the letter:

"I'd love to have a note from you to save in Reid's portfolio for his future college apps. Homeschoolers are an unknown quantity, so any feedback a college can get on a student out in the world is extra helpful -- things like his leadership or teamwork skills, his diligence & willingness to work hard or long hours, or anything that shows things folks might wonder about a homeschooler."

Julie