Menu

Pros and Cons of leasing a car

Leasing was originally designed for business owners so they could have a tax write off. My personal opinion is that you are essentially renting the car for the life of the lease and at the same time responsible for all maintenance, repairs, and upkeep. I prefer to buy and drive it until it dies. Then I donate it for the tax write off. Plus, if you buy then if something unexpected happens you have something to sell.

Apparently if you credit score is OK but not great, it is easier to do than getting a loan.

The payments may be less than a loan.

You can get a new car every few years without a hefty downpayment.

Maintenance is probably minimal because the car is still under warranty.

Busy professionals seem to like it. One of DH's doctors said that he has always leased because he doesn't want the bother of owning.

Leasing was originally designed for business owners so they could have a tax write off. My personal opinion is that you are essentially renting the car for the life of the lease and at the same time responsible for all maintenance, repairs, and upkeep. I prefer to buy and drive it until it dies. Then I donate it for the tax write off. Plus, if you buy then if something unexpected happens you have something to sell.

:iagree:Plus if he gets a decent used car, he may be able to own for many years after he is done paying off the loan. I have had 2 cars that lasted for about 10 more years after I was done paying off the loan:D