Menu

Really need help with what to do with my 5th grader

RJH

This will be our 5th year HSing. My DS is 10 1/2, and is going into 5th grade. He just completed TT7, so we will move on to the next level of TT for math. But I need to figure out the rest. My concern is that I work (from home mostly) 50 hours or more a week. So I can't have anything that's teacher intensive AT ALL. It needs to be something he can do on his own.

He reads at a high school level. And has all his grammar down pat. He does need work at composing a good story that's more than one page, though. We have used Writing Tales the last 2 years. Anything we use will need to be secular.

So I am open to any type of curriculum, for any subjects, that teaches the child (like TT does). Thanks for any help!

I work part-time from home--about 20 hrs per week--in our family business. I honestly could not homeschool if I worked 50 hours, even from home.

You obviously have an accelerated learner, so you might want to Xpost on the Accelerated Board with your curriculum question.

It sounds like you need a truly independent learning method--K12 online or something like this? It also sounds like your son has a good base of skills. Does he really enjoy independent work? Is he motivated to work well on his own? I think an independent program can work, even at your son's age, but it really hinges on learning style and personal motivation. If he can work well on his own beside you as you work and then consult you with occasional questions, a self-guided online program may just work.

I'm sure others on the Accelerated Board will have some creative ideas for you.

For history you could always do Story of the World and have him do more research on the current topic and possibly have him narrate to you what he learned over dinner?

Science- I don't know. There are some good Christian curricula that is written straight to the child but I have no clue about secular.

LA- Again I am not much help here. Doesn't IEW have dvd's? Or is that strictly writing with no grammar?

That's tough since there really isn't any independent working curriculums for secular. There are programs like Christian Light, Ace school of tomorrow etc that are independent working curriculums.

You could look into IEW for Writing

You could check out Logos Press to see if there is anything on there you maybe looking for. I can't tell you how indepdent the work is but they have DVD's and such so maybe it might be close to what your looking for.

http://articles.logospressonline.com/pdf/finalcatalog2010.pdf

First off, I'm a little envious! My oldest is going into 6th. We have only homeschooled for 1 year and he doesn't want to do anything independently. I'm sure some of this has to do with 5 years of public school and some has to do with a little sibling rivalry when I'm working with his younger sibs...... but anyway, I did post to actually try to offer you something! Someone recently posted about a neat idea and here is the website:

http://www.creekedgepress.com/

If your son is independent this could work really well for you! Check it out!

NOEO Science is secular and can be done independently. The manual can be read by the student as it's mostly a grid with reading assignment followed by an assignment the directs the student to complete a notebook page about what the read...sometimes it asks them to draw a diagram, define a few words, or read a summary. My DD10 did Biology level II. The experiments were from Young Scientist Club kits, which have pretty easy to follow directions.

You can look into Growing With Grammar, which is totally self paced. I also liked the look of Science Shepherd (but I don't have personal exp. with it). And if you wanted Spanish, we use Visual Links Spanish, which again is something you may be interested in. And for History, SOTW could work as a spine with added literature and papers to write. I wouldn't get the activity guide in your case because that would make it more teacher intensive.