Menu

MCT Lit Scheduling Question

SophiaH

I'm planning on using the new MCT Lit program this year but I want to wait until the second package comes out before I order. I'm trying to get my schedule together but I'm not sure how to plan this program out.

For anyone who has seen or who has received the new MCT Lit Teacher's Manual...how is it to be scheduled? I understand that each book is to be done over three weeks, but are there guidelines in the TM for how to schedule discussions? Is it done daily? Once/Twice a week? For how long? Is it all done together? Does the student read the books entirely on their own?

Thanks for any info you can give me!

I just started reading the teacher book tonight, but I'll give it a shot!

For anyone who has seen or who has received the new MCT Lit Teacher's Manual...how is it to be scheduled? I understand that each book is to be done over three weeks, but are there guidelines in the TM for how to schedule discussions? Is it done daily? Once/Twice a week? For how long? Is it all done together?

From what I've read so far, he doesn't specify a particular amount of time for reading each book. He suggests that 30 pages a day might be good, but that some kids will want to read much faster and you shouldn't slow them down. I think he recommends informal discussions as you go, but saving the meatier questions and more formal assignments until after the whole book has been read. My impression is that he's not going to give a strict schedule so much as make general suggestions. He divides the reading process into 4 steps: preparing, reading, creative thinking, and writing, and then gives suggestions for each step (a vocabulary pre-study, discussion questions, and then suggestions for writing assignments (aimed at students of various ages/levels).

Does the student read the books entirely on their own?

He says the parent needs to read the books, too. I think the idea is that the student should be reading independently for the most part, but that you might want to read aloud for some of the book.

Like I said, I'm not too far into it, but that's what I've got so far. HTH!

My impression is that he's not going to give a strict schedule so much as make general suggestions.

Well, at least he's consistent. :tongue_smilie:

But...but...I need a schedule!!!:willy_nilly:

:D

Hmmm, well, maybe I'll just schedule a meeting time once a week. Thanks for your help. I'd be interested to hear how others are planning on scheduling this as well.

I just finished reading the teacher's manual, and I agree with Kokotg's assessment. I am going to use this program with my two younger kids, although it will be implemented differently for each of them.

My daughter still likes to read books to me - she reads two pages, and then I read a page. Last year we spent 45 minutes a day on reading aloud, (she also has independent silent reading during the day as well.) but I am planning to increase it to 60 minutes this year. We are still working through Paragraph Town, so she will be doing more discussing than writing.

My 12 year old has already read the books, but I think it will be worthwhile for him to re-read Peter Pan and The Wind in the Willows. (He hated Alice in Wonderland so he'll skip that one) I plan on having him read the books independently first. I also plan on assigning him many of the essay questions from the teacher's manual.