Menu

Help! Is there a parental control for a kid distracted by computer?

One of our sons is easily DISTRACTED by the computer. He doesn't play online games, but he does like to visit certain geeky forums or check email, etc. We can't ban computer use altogether because he has online classes and assignments, but my dh and I are looking for parental controls that will help him become a better time manager.

I've done some online searching but the only ones I've found have mixed reviews (unreliable, crashed a computer, hard to use), so I am turning to the Hive for help!

Is there a tried-and-true parental software or app that would allow us to limit the time a child spends on the computer or a certain website, by setting a block, time parameters, or a timer of some sort?

On our mac I set up an account for each kid. The computer kicks them off after a certain time. I can also set it so that it doesn't work on certain days or times. For school purposes (using Word, etc) I let them use my account. But for everything else they need to use their own. The background on Firefox can be changed so I can tell at a glance whose account they are on.

I have also used the firefox add on Leech block that works really well. It blocks certain websites. Again, you set the parameters such as time limits, days, hours, etc. My dh jokes that he's going to Leechblock the WTM forum!

One of our sons is easily DISTRACTED by the computer. He doesn't play online games, but he does like to visit certain geeky forums or check email, etc. We can't ban computer use altogether because he has online classes and assignments, but my dh and I are looking for parental controls that will help him become a better time manager.

Is there a tried-and-true parental software or app that would allow us to limit the time a child spends on the computer or a certain website, by setting a block, time parameters, or a timer of some sort?

Dang, your son sounds like me. When you find a parental control that works, can you let me know? I try the kitchen timer but it's pretty easy to turn it off and continue surfing.

Thank you, ladies! I will check those out! Someone on the high school board also mentioned K9 web protection.

Cleo, we use Open DNS! We use it as a filter, and I didn't think to check whether it might have more advanced features. I will do that asap!

Thanks, again! If anyone else has ideas, I'm all ears!

Cleo, we use Open DNS! We use it as a filter, and I didn't think to check whether it might have more advanced features. I will do that asap!

it might be a paying option.

I'll ask the guy again, he does have a router that he recommends that gives you a LOT of control. However the router would go for 300$ on ebay. The name currently escapes me