Menu

More PR.........I know, I know!

lexi

Sorry! More PR stuff.........

We are slowly working our way through Level 1. We are about halfway through and are just getting ready to get in to the readers.

My daughter wants to spell, wants to write, wants to read.......so the motivation is there! But it's not coming together for her. Her spelling is all over the place and she is absolutely not applying the rules that she's learning. Today she spelled the word "send" S-E-A-I-N-D :confused: Alright.....I guess she was hoping that if she added every vowel in there she was bound to get one of them right! :lol:

I think she needs more practice with the words. We try spelling them out in all different ways-fingerpainting them, writing with chalk, using magnetic letters-you get the idea. It's not sticking! I've tried SpellingCity also. Umm, nope!

I was hoping working with the readers would further reinforce the words we've covered. But I was wondering about dictation. I thought that would maybe help us. Does anyone add in dictation to Level 1? Do you make up your own sentences or is there a resource out there to help me? I almost think I need someone to just tell me what to do......I want it laid out!

I just feel like there's NOT ENOUGH in Level 1 and that we need some more review or help or something......Can someone please tell me what is missing? :bigear:

I love the thought of the program and the way it is integrated with lit study for Level 2 and the grammar. What can I add? Do differently? Try?

I didn't really want to switch and she enjoys the program but I think we need practice in a different way.

I also think she sometimes is just lazy and is simply throwing out guesses. What do you do if it turns in to a guessing game? How do you redirect them to use what they have learned? :001_huh:

Can some experienced users please chime in? I'm trying to channel Barbara Beers and it is so not happening around here! :tongue_smilie:

Is she still 5 like it says in your siggie? If she is still just 5 and you are half way through PR, then I applaud you for your diligence. :001_smile: Maybe she is just at a developmental wall and you need to take a break or back up and review. Sometimes at this age, if you take a short break and then back up and go through the material again, it can make a really big difference.

JMO,

Joy

Is she still 5 like it says in your siggie? If she is still just 5 and you are half way through PR, then I applaud you for your diligence. :001_smile: Maybe she is just at a developmental wall and you need to take a break or back up and review. Sometimes at this age, if you take a short break and then back up and go through the material again, it can make a really big difference.

JMO,

Joy

:iagree:

JMO,

Joy

I wholeheartedly agree here....5 is young for PR. It really is. Technically, Mrs. Beers intends a first grader (age 6) to be using Level One.

I was just watching the DVDs for Level Two today. I honestly can't imagine taking a 6 year old through Level Two. :001_smile:. All that to say that you don't need to rush Level One. Your sweetie has plenty of time and can afford to take a break from the rigor.

Oh, and no dictation for a five year old! :001_smile:

She just wants to be able to spell and she writes words and realizes that they are spelled wrong and gets frustrated. I thought learning a few simple words would help her. She'll be 6 soon and I thought we would finish Level 1 sometime around when she turns 7. I wasn't in a rush. Just wanted her to be able to spell since she's always writing notes to her dolls. She actually likes doing copywork and wants to write her own sentences.........She's also dying to learn to read and you have to get halfway through Level 1 to start the readers. Maybe I should just take another route to help her begin to read the easy readers. Is there a program that would help her with some early reading that would be good prep for PR? Does anyone teach their child to read before they start and then use PR mostly for spelling practice? She is always trying to read to her little sis (Bee) and wants to be able to read the board books. I hate to see her frustrated and wishing she could read when she wants to. So, what can is something different I can try?

I have been cheating and using BOB books once in a while. :) It helped keep them excited about moving through PR so slow. I am doing PR1 over K and 1st grade.

We've done some of those. Maybe I should do more to make her feel like she's reading. I just hate to see her wishing she could read...........I think she's capable of beginning reading.

We've done some of those. Maybe I should do more to make her feel like she's reading. I just hate to see her wishing she could read...........I think she's capable of beginning reading.

I would keep working on phonics and reading, but let spelling unfold as you keep moving in PR1. :)

My kids enjoy playing on www.starfall.com

Maybe incorporate some montisorri type phonics activities. Like a basket with 5 things that start with a, c, d. Then have cards with those letters on it and she has to sort into piles with the correct letters.

Google and you will come up with TONS! :)

I would keep working on phonics and reading, but let spelling unfold as you keep moving in PR1. :)

My kids enjoy playing on www.starfall.com

Maybe incorporate some montisorri type phonics activities. Like a basket with 5 things that start with a, c, d. Then have cards with those letters on it and she has to sort into piles with the correct letters.

Google and you will come up with TONS! :)

My kids do like Starfall. They play on there a lot. I will try some extra activities. But I think we'll separate the reading from the spelling for a while and work on that alone. She has her phonograms down and that was not a difficult thing for her to learn. So I guess we'll just work on some reading and phonics and see where that takes us.

I've got a young one doing PR1 as well who loves spelling and marking words and wants to read really bad. Along with the other advice, here is some of what I do, since I also was concerned about her gaining mastery...

1. I have her copy the words 5 times as her copywork; while doing this she is supposed to say each sound. Her handwriting is good enough now that she can just write it and not pay attention, so I've been watching this one. It seems to really help. So if she was writing "send", she'd be writing the s while saying /s/ etc.

2. I created an index box with dividers for daily, MWF, TRS, Monthly and Mastered. All of the words to date are in it one side with all the spelling markings the other side without. So some words have no markings and are written on it twice. We review them for spelling and reading or either one depending on time.

3. I create a "worksheeet" on the whiteboard. I'll write the words but leave out some letters. The missing letters are at the top in a letter bank. She gets to figure out where the missing letters go. You can give her a list of spelling words on the side so she can match them all up.

4. Have her teach you the spelling word the next day; focus on the ones she's having trouble with.

5. Sometimes we practice the spelling words with tiles but this isn't a big favorite. I use the AAS tiles and I have ceramic heavier ones which is what she prefers. This usually ends with her creating other words as she moves letters around.

6. oral spelling of words shes missed and/or taking delight in that day.

What about reviewing the phonograms or at least the vowels? She's got the concept that a vowel needs to go there, but perhaps, she's not remembering the various sounds. We still review phonograms here once a week, mostly for my benefit since I was not taught with phonics and they don't seem to stay, well at least those 2 letter ones. I also have an almost 3 year old that insists on going through phonograms daily though too, so dd usually joins in.

That's all I can think of right now. Oh, I used Elizabethb's webster schedule and Blend Phonics with her this past year. They're both available for free on donpotter.net http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/blend_phonics.html. There are also readers to go with blend phonics. You can get Webster's here http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/spelling_books.html. Here is a link to ElizabethB's schedule of teaching her son with Websers http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208407&highlight=K+webster+speller+to+teach+reading

I know Tina is having a young one in PR1 this year, so she may have some other ideas for you.

HTH

Edited by BriannaG
additional info

What week are you on in PR1?

We are on week 13 and 14. We took a break for the summer and were just reviewing some of the old words using games and spelling city. Maybe the summer break from it has fried her brain? She used to get through her words without as many problems. I was wondering if we just hit a wall and should start over at lesson 1 this fall. I was planning to spread Level 1 over at least 2 years since she was so eager to get started.

I'm getting All About Reading Pre-Level for my son and we'll slowly work through it. I think he'll really love it and think it's fun. I was wishing the Level 1 stuff was out already because I was thinking about trying it with her so she could at least read a few things to herself. I didn't know if that would work well with PR and satisfy her reading desire.

I've got a young one doing PR1 as well who loves spelling and marking words and wants to read really bad. Along with the other advice, here is some of what I do, since I also was concerned about her gaining mastery...

1. I have her copy the words 5 times as her copywork; while doing this she is supposed to say each sound. Her handwriting is good enough now that she can just write it and not pay attention, so I've been watching this one. It seems to really help. So if she was writing "send", she'd be writing the s while saying /s/ etc.

2. I created an index box with dividers for daily, MWF, TRS, Monthly and Mastered. All of the words to date are in it one side with all the spelling markings the other side without. So some words have no markings and are written on it twice. We review them for spelling and reading or either one depending on time.

3. I create a "worksheeet" on the whiteboard. I'll write the words but leave out some letters. The missing letters are at the top in a letter bank. She gets to figure out where the missing letters go. You can give her a list of spelling words on the side so she can match them all up.

4. Have her teach you the spelling word the next day; focus on the ones she's having trouble with.

5. Sometimes we practice the spelling words with tiles but this isn't a big favorite. I use the AAS tiles and I have ceramic heavier ones which is what she prefers. This usually ends with her creating other words as she moves letters around.

6. oral spelling of words shes missed and/or taking delight in that day.

What about reviewing the phonograms or at least the vowels? She's got the concept that a vowel needs to go there, but perhaps, she's not remembering the various sounds. We still review phonograms here once a week, mostly for my benefit since I was not taught with phonics and they don't seem to stay, well at least those 2 letter ones. I also have an almost 3 year old that insists on going through phonograms daily though too, so dd usually joins in.

That's all I can think of right now. Oh, I used Elizabethb's webster schedule and Blend Phonics with her this past year. They're both available for free on donpotter.net http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/blend_phonics.html. There are also readers to go with blend phonics. You can get Webster's here http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/spelling_books.html. Here is a link to ElizabethB's schedule of teaching her son with Websers http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208407&highlight=K+webster+speller+to+teach+reading

I know Tina is having a young one in PR1 this year, so she may have some other ideas for you.

HTH

Thanks for all those thoughts. I think we'll try some of those things. I recently made a file box of index cards for the words.

What tiles do you use? I think she would like the tiles and I had even been considering getting the AAS tiles for extra practice.

Since you're already planning on spreading PR1 over two years, it certainly won't hurt to go back and start at week 5, especially if you keep up review of the phonograms and slip in words she's already done. It might also come back if you keep working with her lightly through the summer.

I also found upping the reading of favorite story books helped my dd through this phase..it was hard some days with the two little ones, but she loved it and would then "read" the book after I finished it and/or would read along with me. It seemed to help her feel like she was reading when she wasn't quite far enough along to figure out very many words by herself yet.

I second the previous poster's comment about Webster's and Blend Phonics. We used that prior to starting Phonics Road for a while and my 6 year old DD is now reading beginner chapter books. I don't think she would have learned to blend using only Phonics Road. She needed the other programs to teach her to blend.

I definitely USED the Phonics Road knowledge while helping her with reading. When she would come across a word she didn't know I would try to read the word in the order of whatever phonogram was troubling her. For example: She's trying to read the word BEAR. I would say "Hmmm, EA says EEE, EH, AA. So is it BEER? Noooo. Is it BEHR? Nooo. What about BARE? Yes, that must be it!" She eventually caught on and now does it automatically herself.

Hi, Lexi. I'd back up and review the words. Sounds like a developmental block to me. I love B's ideas. I'd also encourage you (if you aren't already) to stand over her as she spells each word. As she starts to misspell, correct with the I.D. cues for each sound. For example, she writes frog: f-r-a

"Stop. What vowel sound do you hear in frooooog?"

"/o/"

"That's right. Which sounds do you know that say, /o/?"

"/a/, /A/, /o/." You write it on the board/paper

"That's right. The letter A does make the sound, /o/, but that's not the one for this word. Can you think of another way to say /o/?"

If you need to, take the PR cards and pull out the vowels. Show her the vowels and go through each sound. When she declares, "/o/, /O/" tell her that's the one you're looking for in the word, frog.

Secondly, don't worry about the notes to her dolls. She'll get there. The important part of that is she's writing her letters and is interested in communicating through pencil and paper. This is WONDERFUL! You could even take those notes and create her copywork from them. Then let her keep the "corrected" notes in a folder so she can refer to them at her pleasure.

Respectfully, don't add or switch. IMHO, the best thing you can do for her right now, is to have patience in the process of learning. She's young (even if she has the desire to write and read), so she probably just needs a little time. Go back, review, play games, and start sounding out the readers one word at a time and stop after 10 minutes. It's most important to avoid exasperation. Honestly, at this tender age, avoiding exasperation is more important than reading. In time, it will come and she'll be flying through her lessons. Just hang in there and trust the process.

Reading quickly is not as important as reading well. You have time! Just for your reference, I had a dc reading by 3.5, but by 4th grade, she had trouble with spelling and reading larger words. Early meant nothing for her in the long run.

I've "warmed up" both of my kids to reading before starting PR1. Especially for younger students, Mrs. Beers takes off with reading pretty fast in my opinion. My daughter already knew how to read because we started PR1 late for her (at 2nd grade age). However with my son who did kindergarten this last year, I used explode the code and Bob books so that his reading and basic phonics knowledge is off the ground. This fall I will start PR1 with him. I feel like he will have something to build upon. Maybe early on it will seem slightly redundant or too easy (although I still don't think so because she is more thorough than any other program out there so there's always something new you're learning) but it does quickly accelerate and I think it sets us up for a smoother transition into the more difficult material.

I think if you're starting your student from scratch with PR and she is younger than one would typically start, just taking it slow is a good idea. Also, as many have suggested, going back over the material from near the beginning could also be a great thing.

The fact that she is interested and motivated in reading and writing/spelling is a great thing for you both! I agree that she may just not be ready to retain all the skills/knowledge yet so going slower would help.

Have you heard about that book "Better late than early"? I haven't read it so if anyone has strong apposing thoughts about it, I'm only going off of what I heard and read about it. I just had a retired homeschool mom recommend it to me. The content of the book affirms the benefits of young children being home which is obviously one more reason why homeschooling is great! But also, according to what I was told, it explores different developmental things about young children and that some things just don't happen until a little later for many children. And that when those skills are finally developed, even if later than we might want or expect, they actually catch right up to other children and even excel beyond. Anyway, just a thought. Here's a link to the book. http://www.amazon.com/Better-Late-Than-Early-Education/dp/0883490498

Anybody read it?

Thanks for all those thoughts. I think we'll try some of those things. I recently made a file box of index cards for the words.

What tiles do you use? I think she would like the tiles and I had even been considering getting the AAS tiles for extra practice.

I have both the AAS tiles and 1" ceramic ones that they use in SWR. DD prefers the ceramic ones. I have her use the tiles in a small wooden craft box left over from a Melissa and Doug game. It's small enough to keep them contained yet gives her enough room to spell words. She wasn't too interested in AAS tiles yet, but I see her looking at them on the board and playing with them now. Her younger brother prefers the AAS tiles, but he is really young.

Basically, I got them to give her a different way to play with words without needing to write them. She's got great printing, but sometimes I can't always be on hand to watch a couple of problem spots.

She really likes her word review box. Oh and the technique Tina and Grace'smom talked about with going through the sounds to figure out which one to use is great. I've been using it with my DD and I am seeing her start to catch on. I believe Mrs. Beers goes over/introduces it in Week 5. So, I'm really reminding myself to use it on each word as we analyze it...with interruptions it sometimes gets forgotten. She might do the technique each week, but I'm sleep deprived right now and can't remember-lol! Plus, we've only just started week 6 so we're not very far along.

HTH

Edited by BriannaG
forgot some info

Have you heard about that book "Better late than early"? I haven't read it so if anyone has strong apposing thoughts about it, I'm only going off of what I heard and read about it. I just had a retired homeschool mom recommend it to me. The content of the book affirms the benefits of young children being home which is obviously one more reason why homeschooling is great! But also, according to what I was told, it explores different developmental things about young children and that some things just don't happen until a little later for many children. And that when those skills are finally developed, even if later than we might want or expect, they actually catch right up to other children and even excel beyond. Anyway, just a thought. Here's a link to the book. http://www.amazon.com/Better-Late-Than-Early-Education/dp/0883490498

Anybody read it?

I own this. I read it. In some areas, it makes sense to me, in others, I'd rather enjoy the process of slowly grasping and using that time for training and to instill love of learning. In the end, I've found a balance in waiting in some areas and getting to it in others. In *this* situation, I'd say the curiosity is the clue to get moving, but the road block is the clue to say, she's there in heart, we just need her brain to catch up.

OP, I just want to encourage you. I know when you have a young one eager to learn (I have 5 of my own + 5ish that are not...long story on the "ish") and you're excited you want to go, go, go! Then you read, "She's so young. Slow down." and it can be very frustrating. You know she's ready and so you don't want to wait and you don't want people telling you how young your child is. I get it. I remember being right there, 12+years ago. Don't fret. When we say wait, we mean let a few weeks go by, maybe a couple of months, then you'll be right where you want to be b/c her brain will catch up to her heart (and yours, which is wonderful to serve your dd so well). It comes. I think it's often harder for us to be patient than it is for them to learn to read :glare::001_smile:

Best wishes!

QUOTE=johnandtinagilbert;2958034]I own this. I read it. In some areas, it makes sense to me, in others, I'd rather enjoy the process of slowly grasping and using that time for training and to instill love of learning. In the end, I've found a balance in waiting in some areas and getting to it in others. In *this* situation, I'd say the curiosity is the clue to get moving, but the road block is the clue to say, she's there in heart, we just need her brain to catch up.

OP, I just want to encourage you. I know when you have a young one eager to learn (I have 5 of my own + 5ish that are not...long story on the "ish") and you're excited you want to go, go, go! Then you read, "She's so young. Slow down." and it can be very frustrating. You know she's ready and so you don't want to wait and you don't want people telling you how young your child is. I get it. I remember being right there, 12+years ago. Don't fret. When we say wait, we mean let a few weeks go by, maybe a couple of months, then you'll be right where you want to be b/c her brain will catch up to her heart (and yours, which is wonderful to serve your dd so well). It comes. I think it's often harder for us to be patient than it is for them to learn to read :glare::001_smile:

I so agree with what Tina wrote...I've struggled with this dynamic with my dd. I've finally figured out the balance of its okay to move ahead with teaching her but also allowing her the time to developmentally catch up without feeling guilty about her being so young! As long as I don't do too many games for "school" I'm okay, otherwise I get informed that games aren't school and she wants to do school!

OP-we used Phonics Pathways at first. Ds was a little over 5 when we started. I switched to PR a few months later, when we were about half way through PP. We went pretty slow. Taking a break from reading/spelling isn't going to hurt if she's hitting a wall. I think they're helpful and the kids come back refreshed. We stopped PR1 almost at the end, right after contractions. We had family in, and it got distracting. I also feel ds wasn't quite ready to go into prefix/suffix/base words yet. We'll pick it up here soon, and then start PR2 slow.

I'll probably do the same thing with our little guy-he's just turned 4. We're just starting to go over letter sounds and recognition, as he wants to learn them. We'll do that, then use PP when he's ready and end up at PR1 eventually.

I did decide to teach reading first and I'm glad I did it that way here. My boys were just not ready for the writing in PR1 and they were ready to read. I did find teaching the phonograms prepared us for reading instruction well. I used I See Sam, phonogram teaching (Recipe for Reading style), and progressive phonics to practice reading with those phonograms.

I did decide to teach reading first and I'm glad I did it that way here. My boys were just not ready for the writing in PR1 and they were ready to read. I did find teaching the phonograms prepared us for reading instruction well. I used I See Sam, phonogram teaching (Recipe for Reading style), and progressive phonics to practice reading with those phonograms.

Love Recipe for Reading :)