Menu

Sending DS to a Private Classical School this year...

... and I am so nervous. :001_unsure:

Anyone want to talk me down?

I've been homeschooling for 4 years now, and I just need a break this year. Older DS is entering 5th this year and there is an amazing private, classical school literally 5 minutes from my house. So DH and I have enrolled him this year and I will continue to homeschool my 2nd and K-er. I can't believe how stressed I am about this and how hard it has been to let go!! Any BTDT?

There's no doubt I would send my DS11. We've homeschooled for 5 years now, and we've considered options in our area for middle school. Nothing makes sense for our son, but believe me I wouldn't hesitate if I had an excellent option nearby.

Only you and your husband can decide what's right for your son. Educational choices are deeply personal as well as highly individual. Each one of my boys have very different needs requiring totally different learning environments. My middle son is our only homeschooled child.

You can be confident that you know what's right for your son.

We've homeschooled for the past 2 years. Next year we're enrolling all 3 of ours (oldest is going into 6th grade) in a hybrid classical school (they'll go 1 day per week, and are given all humanities assignments - I'm still in charge of math, science, and foreign language). I'm nervous too, but I really do think it is best for our family.

I know my situation is a different than yours, but I understand the letting go of control issue.

Mom2Oregonboys is right - it is a deeply personal issue. Just wanted to empathize.

Julie :001_smile:

We send our older ds to private school--it's a University Model School, not classical. It was hard deciding to do it and then giving up control of schooling. We'd been homeschooling for 9 years (K-8th) until then. There were some things I didn't like--they do Physical Science in 9th and though he'd already done it at home he still had to take it there. But overall it was what we all needed and homeschooling my other 2 was a lot easier that year.

For several months I wondered if we'd done the right thing, but ds has thrived there in a way that he didn't at home. It was probably not until the end of his first year there that I got over my doubts and fears. And it took that same whole year for him to feel glad that we sent him. :001_smile:

I taught in two different classical christian schools pre-kids. One of them I would my children to in a heartbeat, if we still lived in that town and if I had the financial resources to do so. The other you could not pay me to send my kids too, and although (again) we've moved out of that town, we will probably be back there by the time my kids are in 2nd grade. NO WAY. So, from my personal experience, these schools vary a LOT. If you've done your homework and you feel good about what they're doing there, you (and he!) will probably love it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'd have been nervous too, in your situation. But, if we'd had the option I would have considered a private classical school because a good one would have been wonderful for my son. We did participate in a co-op that was based on classical ideas, but he'd have liked a full time school even more. I think he would have benefited from the challenges especially as he got older. He found it hard to stay motivated on his own as the years went by.

It sounds like the school is is a good fit and convenient. I'd do my best to look at this as a fabulous opportunity for him and a way for you to get some extra time to focus on your younger children.

Thank you, ladies, for commiserating and empathizing. ;) One of the reasons I think this is so hard for me is that I am a second generation homeschooler- I truly believe in it and it's hard for me to admit that it's just not working with him right now. He's a bright child, but I have a hard time keeping him motivated and more and more frequently he seems to just decide that he doesn't want to learn from ME. I think it's time for us both to have a break. However, the nerves set in when I think about what a perfectionist he is and how hard it will be on him if he struggles with something. I'm especially nervous about Math. (Posted in the other forum about that one...)

I think when making a change like this, it's always good to take a big breath and remind yourself "if it doesn't work out, we'll make a change". I sent my oldest to 2 years of PS. Good luck! Sounds like a great thing to try. :D