Menu

Bluedorn Greek?

I have looked at this curriculum at least once a year for over a decade. It is so much more expensive than other things I have used and I am not CONVINCED that is so much better. Some day I'm sure I'll buy it, but for now, it always just gets looked at and then pushed back on the list.

Please say if I'm hijacking ... but what are the Ancient Greek (as opposed to Biblical) programs for elementary? I'd much prefer Ancient, esp. since I think the switch from Ancient to Biblical is easier than the other way 'round.

as to why we're not using the Bluedorn: $$$, and we're still learning the alphabet (with Song School Greek). :)

• 8 months later...

Okay, coming back to this thread almost a year later, I think I know WHY this curriculum is so expensive and why it might be worth the money.

#1 This is the only Greek curriculum that uses the notebook method, that many WRTR/PR/SWR users want to transition from phonics to latin/Greek. Latin Road to Grammar and Latin in the Christian Trivium are even more expensive.

#2 the flash cards show each word declined.

I noticed that this Greek notebook method TEACHES grammar from scratch, instead of expecting the student to already have mastered a considerable amount of grammar, like both of the above Latin curriculums. The Bluedorns believe in delayed academics, so this would be a necessity in their materials.

The LCC purist method is that classical language study REPLACES most English Grammar lessons, right? Two years of solid PREPARING for Latin Road is a real turn off for me, and...I don't get it. How much grammar is there to learn?

The reduced vocabulary method to facilitate grammar mastery, works very well with learning just NT vocabulary. Then there are a plethora of resources--many of them free--to assist in READING and HEARING this primary Greek source.

Is anyone using this right now, or in the past? This no longer looks like just another Greek curriculum to me. I think I really want it as a follow up to WRTR.

My son is more than halfway through this program. I don't know Greek, myself, but if you want to ask him any specific questions I can post his answers here.

He supplements with an audio Greek NT and an English-Greek interlinear Bible. The CD he uses is much better than Bluedorn's tapes, in ds's opinion. As a first year student (well, he did the Alphabeterion and Hupogrammon last year) he's always been frustrated with Bluedorn's audio materials, because Bluedorn doesn't seem to follow the pronunciation rules he teaches. We don't know whether the professionally-made CD is correct in pronunciation but it is definitely consistent, so ds uses it instead.

I used to have a leather version (now OOP) of thisinterlinear and an audio Bible that was available through a link at Don Potter at the Ephesians audios, that are no longer there. I wonder what is up with that! They were excellent. Your link sounds almost as good. Thanks. I have some replacing to do.

The Bludorn audios are scratchy from originally being audio tapes :-( That is NOT a part of the curriculum I'm impressed with. It's even more disheartening to hear they are inconsistent. I often find that from authors who were taught Attic, and are now teaching Koine, and have become used to that.

Other than transposing 2 diphthongs, I use the pronunciations in Strong's Concordance Dictionary.

Here's my guy! I found him :-)

Dr. Tyler. He has a Textus Receptus set, which is the Greek choice of many more conservative Christians, and what my leather Bible was.

And here is a link to links and reviews to many different audio version of the Greek NT.

http://www.letsreadgreek.com/resources/greekntaudio.htm

Edited by Hunter

These Vocabulary Builder mp3s are helpful. I have a pdf on a software program CD ROM that doesn't work on computers newer than XP 2.

The rest of the textbook is free but I don't see the vocabulary builder pdf :-0 I wonder if it is now copyright free. If you find out that it is legal, send me a pm and I'll e-mail you a copy.

I'm really sad that I can't get the software to work :-(

I remember playing these audios while doing the dishes :-)