Menu

Shih Tzu puppy questions...

We love our new 12 week puppy, Sir Walter Raleigh. We call him Raleigh. Pics here. :)

We brought him home last week and after a few rough nights we have found a routine. He loves his crate. He needs to sleep in his crate near us at night. He wants to be near one of us at all times but has no problem spending time his cozy crate while we are gone for short trips out of the house. He is a bundle of cuteness and love. I never thought I'd be this crazy about a dog. He is asleep on my lap right now. He wants to be held and loved and cuddled and played with -- and we are happy to oblige. My 4 dc are in heaven and are taking the lead in helping with his care. I'm thrilled.

But....

Potty-training this fur ball is proving to be a challenge. He can 'hold it' for 8 hours at night -- which means we don't need to take him out for a potty break in the middle of the night. He sleeps soundly from 11 - 7 in the crate in our master bedroom. (He barks if he is alone in his crate at night in the kitchen.)

He has a potty place outside in our back yard. We take him hourly with great success. Unfortunately he thinks our kitchen floor is an alternative potty place. I found two puddles this morning even though he piddled outside. He gets really excited and stands by the gate when he has to poop and doesn't give us much warning. We then run him outside.

If we are out of the gated kitchen/dining area (where we spend most of our day) he sometimes piddles on the floor. Is he mad that we left him alone? :confused:

I'm not complaining. He's a puppy and we are very patient. We never scold him and use only positive reinforcement.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

Edited by Beth in SW WA
added link

Well, you know, we've had a lot of dogs over the years, including 2 Shih-tzus. In my experience, they were the hardest to train, followed by the Cavaliers. I don't know why the big dogs were easier, but they were. For 12 weeks, I actually think he's doing pretty well.:) I also think their bladders are just so tiny that they just can't help it sometimes. It takes awhile, for sure. I'd be sure he was going out within 15-20 min. of drinking anything in addition to his normal eating routine, and maybe just step up his usual outside schedule from every hour to every 50 minutes and see if it helps?

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a Shih-tzu in a diaper at my feet right now...;) She's at the other end of the age spectrum.

I have a shih tzu...I think she is not a smart puppy at all!! LOL. She is super cute...super dumb. That is terrible I know!!! Forgive me.

SO...that said...

I found an amazing forum online... http://shihtzuchattertwo.sunlitesplace.com/forums/

I had tons of problems with my puppy. I got her when she was 5 months and it took me till about 8 to figure it out.

I had to crate her during the day for a few weeks. I brought her out to potty, play an hour or so, then back in the crate. She only was allowed out with us directly. It clicked!! It seems so mean...but it works.

I had no bedding at all in the crate. just the crate. I didnt add bedding to make it cozy till she was over a year. Then she still digs to get under that and sleep on the crate floor. I never use pee pee pads. I didnt want her to get used to peeing on things in the house...the kids have blankets down all the time!

She sleeps in her crate downstairs. I believe you have to take them out at night for a certain amount of time...but you can extend the time longer and longer.

I have to take her out immediately when she gets up...no talking to her. Then she is fine. If people come over or we come home...she has to go out immediately or she has happy pee on the floor.

I guess the key was being consistent. It was hard not to give in to her crying. Now she is great. She loves her crate. I can crate her at any time during the day or night and she is fine. I dont let her sleep out of the crate since she thinks its open pee time! (even at 2)

We have a 7 month old, neutered Shih Tzu/Maltese mix that is a wonderful puppy.....but also proving to be the hardest dog we've ever had to potty train :tongue_smilie:.

I really don't think he's doing it for spite. I just think they're stubborn and difficult to potty train. My husband talked with someone a few weeks ago that has Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. She said the *exact* same thing as Sugarfoot, Cavaliers and Shih Tzus are the hardest to train. She said her Cavaliers were closer to a YEAR old before they completely got it. UGH!

So, no other advice, other than what you're doing. I'm just commiserating :001_smile:. We love our little guy! I guess if they are breeds that are harder to potty train, its a good thing they're soooooo cute!

Edited by sparrow

I had a Shih-tzu for almost 12 years. She passed away a little over a month ago.:sad: She was a great dog! Not bright but very sweet and loyal! She was extremely hard to potty train but eventually got it!

Another thing someone told me early on that was helpful was about leash training. I guess Shih-tzus can hate or be scared of a leash. They told me that when they are a puppy just let them walk around with a leash attached to get use to have it on, then eventually you will able to take them on walks. :001_smile:

Our Shih Tzu will be 2 in August and she was fully one year old before we didn't have any more "accidents". Ugh! We had just moved into a new house when we got her at 13 weeks and I thought I was going to go insane cleaning up after her. But eventually she got it. Other than that (and I agree, not the brightest dog on the block) she's great with the kids, very friendly etc. We gate her in the mudroom at night and when we go away. She did cry the first few nights away from her mommy and siblings. My husband actually slept with her out on the sofa because I don't want a dog in our bedroom at night. Now she goes to bed when we do and she usually sleeps in in the morning. The only dog I've ever heard of who had to be waken up to go out and I'm talking 9-10 am!

First I want to say that he is a real cutie! :D I have had two shih-tzu's in the past and one we had to have put down last year because he could no longer fight the leukemia he had and the other I had to give away to my uncle because she didn't do well with small children at all. They were VERY difficult to housebreak especially the boy. I wish that I had him neutered much younger than I did, maybe that would have helped. He would go outside and potty several times then come inside and hike his leg on something....you had to watch him like a hawk. He was the sweetest dog though and was quite smart other than the potty thing. :001_smile: We have a beagle/basset mix now and she has been so much easier so far, the vet said to keep at it and then one day it will just "click" that outside is the place to potty.

He slept 9 hours straight in his crate in my little girls' room -- which means I got a full night's sleep. He fell asleep while I was brushing him last night. We will take him 'potty' hourly today and watch him in our gated kitchen area at all times.

I'm becoming that weird dog lady. He has captured my heart. :001_smile: