Menu

chicken people-- roosters

Our pig is named Pork Chop. She is headed for the great freezer in the sky in October. Our chickens are only for eggs right now, but if we decide to hatch some next spring, any roos will be meat as well. Oh, and we're looking at getting some meat rabbits. Ds calls them collectively "the other other white meat". We've always been clear from the beginning what the animals were for, and it has never been a problem for us either. But if it bothers you, don't do it!

How do you buy meat from the grocery store knowing how horribly it's been treated from it's birth to the moment of it's death? We eat our animals content in the knowledge that they lived happily until the end.

I agree that it's irresponsible to let a domesticated animal loose to get eaten alive by predators. Do the job yourself or give it to someone else who will do it.

Because we need to eat. We raise what we can and buy what we can't. That is our contribution, but in the end the animals were put here to feed us.

We only have laying hens that are pretty young right now, so we haven't yet had to deal with what to do with them when their productivity comes to an end. Well, I should say that my Husband and I know what will happen but the kids are hoping some magic chicken fairy will jump in and save them I think.:)

I agree with the previous poster about eating factory farmed meat as opposed to humanely raised small farm animals. I feel guilty about dishonoring the animal that way when I buy an anonymous plastic wrapped package from the store. Eventually we have plans to buy a farm and produce as much of our own food as we can. For now we garden and eat as locally as possible (including our own eggs and raw milk from my Aunt's cow).

We want to raise some of our own meat but we're looking at locally produced pasture fed pork and beef a well. Average prices seem to be around $3.50/lb. Ground beef and good sale prices here are $2/lb so $3.50/lb seems pretty reasonable and doable for us. We will have to get another freezer though...

I also know there's a WTMers who sells good eating ducks not too far from me as well. :)