Menu

I'm curious, if you use Spelling Workout...

Wildwood

We have never used them and never really needed them. I have run into one or two times when I wasn't 100% sure of an answer but it is easy enough to just look it up in a dictionary. I bought one thinking there might be some teaching advice or background information, but there was nothing particularly useful.

Another question, if you don't mind...

How do you approach each section, do you just have your student do the pages and then test at the end of the week---do you test?

Do you even spend an entire week on one section? It almost seems too simple to be effective, the layout, I mean. What am I missing? Maybe spelling doesn't need to be as complicated as I am thinking.

Thank you.

Another question, if you don't mind...

How do you approach each section, do you just have your student do the pages and then test at the end of the week---do you test?

Do you even spend an entire week on one section? It almost seems too simple to be effective, the layout, I mean. What am I missing? Maybe spelling doesn't need to be as complicated as I am thinking.

Thank you.

We read the first page and do the second on the first day. We do the next page over 2 days and the last page on the fourth. If there was a word that was very tricky, I might start the next week with some dictation, but usually, I just go through half the book, test, and keep a list of missed words. At the end of the book we test again, and then I sit down and see if it is particular words or certain rules that are lacking. We go over the particular words to remember hints (usually proper pronunciation), and review the rules he doesn't "have". Then I sprinkle in the words in our usual dictation.

We weave back and forth between SWO D and SWS&V 4, and I keep a running list for both.

Day 1--Dd read the first page out loud. I read her the list and the rule on the second page. She'd do the work on that page.

Day 2--Dd finished the 3rd and 4th page (except the writing--we never did that b/c there's no room and I wasn't doing that sort of composition).

Day 3--Dd usually did something with the words; sometimes she wrote several sentences, or (when younger)wrote them with red consonants and blue vowels, or alphabetized them, or told me what part of speech they were (knowing they could be more than one, or used as more than one), etc.

Day 4--I gave her the test this day or on Day 5, depending.

We got up thru E, I think, and I never bothered with the TM.