Menu

Ok, so which vacation would be more affordable?

I posted recently about either Niagra Falls or Washington D.C./visit to the ocean. We had decided that we wanted to do D.C. and the ocean. Well... since then the a/c in our house needed repaired and we are starting to rethink our vacation. We're planning to take $ out of (fairly meager) savings to go on vacation and we're thinking we may need to tighten our vacation budget. We live in IN so while we'd like to see more of the country, we may need to stay a little closer. Now I'm wondering about Gatlinburg to see the mountains. It's closer so obviously it would be less gas money, but other than that, would it really be a cheaper vacation than D.C.? I know that we can do lots of free stuff in D.C. but I don't know about Gatlinburg. The aquarium looks pretty neat - it seems like there is plenty to do in Gatlinburg area but is it pricey? Also, the cabins look amazing but I'm wondering if they are all expensive. We may not be able to take a full week of vacation like we hoped. Maybe we can shorten it to 5 days or so? Oh, and btw, I'm scared of bears lol! If you stay in a cabin is that a real concern?

Anyway, you guys were so helpful with the Niagra vs D.C. question so I'm hoping you have some thoughts here. I'm getting very discouraged b/c we had our hearts set on a nice big vaca but reality gets in the way sometimes.

Edited by beccasboys

We went to Pigeon Forge a few years ago. We spent a boatload of money (IMHO). We went to Dollywood for 2 days (if you go after 4pm the next day is included in your ticket), to the Aquarium, and to the Ripley's museum.

The condo was $85/night plus tax for 4 nights

Ripley's was $16 each x 5

DollyWood was about $50pp x 5

Aquarium was about $18pp x 5

With food it was over $1,000.

Dawn

Thanks for the numbers - that is helpful! Seems like we could save a lot by skipping Dollywood. Also, how did you find a condo for $85?!

Yes, we can go after school starts - would the end of August be after school starts or would that be more like September? We are very flexible on our dates so that helps.

If you're looking for off season rates, you may want to look elsewhere. I don't think Gatlinburg considers off season until about late Dec. maybe Jan? we are going to Myrtle Beach the first week of October (it will be getting cooler, but we have weddings preventing us from going earlier). We were able to get a nice condo that sleeps 6 for $55/night because it's off season, indoor pools, right on the beach, summer rates for the same place are $160-$210/night. We spend less money at the beach in general because that keeps us busy, not many outside activities to pay for.

I know you want to save gas money, but if the hotel/condo rate balances out the gas money that may help.

Good luck and have lots of fun on your vacation!

How do I get proof of homeschooling? IN is very homeschool friendly so I don't have a required ID or anything.

emcap,

Could you tell me (message or e-mail me if you want) about the condo you got? Sounds like an awesome deal!

We talked about Chicago but I think both Chicago and St. Louis are almost too close - meaning they look a whole lot like Indiana. :)

I think the condo we reserved is pretty booked up for the off season. We were lucky they had just the week we wanted open. All I did was pull up a map of the beaches along north and south carolina and looked them each up on tripadvisor until I found something suitable.

Are you familiar with tripadvisor? You can search for vacation rentals (house or condo) in the location of your choice and sort by price per night or week. Lots of reviews for most places, lots of pics, and pertinent info (how many each place sleeps, etc.) is plainly displayed on the results page so you don't have to click on each listing, I really appreciate that. Most places also list off season dates and rates, often with a calendar that shows availability.

Some places charge cleaning fees and of course taxes, but with taxes and fees our vacation lodging total is $412. We are pretty happy with that. We didn't think we would be able to afford vacation this year, so we are excited.

Hope that helps a bit. Again, wherever you go have lots of fun!:001_smile:

BTW, I think you can just print off homeschool badges at homeschool buyers coop, maybe that would work for proof of homeschooling?

I look for discount cards when we go on vacation.

Like gocards or city cards. You can also get some great deals from sites like travelzoo and groupon. Visa credit card also has free museum days. If you google the city you want to visit -- free __city___, or free events__city__ you should find some stuff. Also call the chamber or commerce. They can help.

We stay in a condo and make our food. In Gatlinburg last time we went we just enjoyed the mountains--lots of hiking, nature center, etc. Our condo was via my parents so it was a super cheap vacation for us. Price condos would be my advice.

D.C. is considered a "high cost" city for business travelers, but as you mention, there are lots of free museums, monuments, etc. there.

Gatlinburg has become such a summer vacation spot that tons of attractions there now are expensive; hotels are more expensive in summer due to demand; and of course food costs have gone up, too. So unless you want to go to the Smokies to do free things (camping, hiking, etc.), then it might not end up being cheaper for you.

I was actually thinking that Niagara might be a better deal for you....