Menu

Mr. Q or RSO??

tntgoodwin

Which science for firsr grade? Animals, plants, people  

1. 1. Which science for firsr grade? Animals, plants, people

• R.S.O.
    • Mr. Q
    • Other (please explain in thread)

Choose please! Think first grade life science or biology. We prefer an open-and-go, scripted, not too much hands on type of program. Don't want to do a lot of cut and paste, or need a lot of extra books. Prefer to do some reading, then answer some questions or do a worksheet type thing. An experiment every couple of weeks is fine. Which is the most scientifically sound with the most information?

Edited by tntgoodwin

I voted RSO but should have read your preferences.

You can download and view Mr. Q for yourself (for free). IMO the vocab and concepts would be over the head of a 1st grader.

RSO is mostly ONLY experiments so if you're not keen on experiments and just doing worksheets - this isn't the curriculum for you.

If you are looking for workbook science, I'd look elsewhere. Perhaps something from Abeka?

Oh and if you are interested in seeing RSO - they have a "try before you buy" on the website so you can download a sampling of the first few weeks.

I second the vote for Elemental Science.

We chose RSO over ES because RSO is very hands-on with lots of experiments/labs. We are loving it, but sounds like it would not be a good fit for you.

I haven't seen your other option, so I can't speak to that one.

I started using Mr Qs Life Science for the last quarter of Doodle's first grade year. We liked it and I have since purchased Mr Qs other science programs. We will be doing Mr Qs Earth Science this year for second grade. I put the student text PDFs on my iPad which made it very convenient for us to use. Mr Qs Life Science is free, so it can't hurt to try it before you decide to purchase anything.

Looks like R.S.O. Wins by a landslide!

RSO may have "won" with more votes, however I encourage you to download MrQs Life Science and give it a try. It fits the description of what you said you are looking for. I am not familiar with RSO, however two posters above who are familiar with it have both indicated that it does not match the criteria you seek.

We used Mr. Q Life science. My dh made audio recordings of all the chapters and we just listened to it at lunch. It worked for us.

My kids really wanted to do Chemistry next. So bought that book. We should have done Earth Science but my boys were so gung-ho for Chemistry. We are on chapter 5.

We love RSO...even though there are experiments, it's not so much that it's overwhelming...in fact, part of me wishes there were more! We have added a lot more to RSO by adding in library books and such, but I love the layout of RSO..."R"eading the lesson, "E"xploring (through the labs), "A"bsorbing (through the worksheets) and then finding out just how much he has "L"earned!!

We have just started with the Animal Kingdom portion of RSO and have only done the unit with sorting the blobonians (classification) and you would not believe how much this simple activity and scientific classification poster I found have really hit home with DS. He had out his plastic critters yesterday and was classifying them all and asking questions about how scientists determine what groups go together (he specifically wanted to know if horses and donkeys were in the same family since they look similar and we discovered that they are also in the same genus b/c of the hooves)...and he also found out that zebras are in the same genus too! He was thrilled to tell DH all about it when he came home!

So anyway...even though RSO may "seem" like a lot of labs, it's really so much more!