Menu

Ideas for wiggle breaks?

I'm thinking of putting slips of paper in a little container, and on each piece of paper will be a short activity. DS will pick out a piece of paper and do what it says when he needs a "wiggle break" during school this upcoming year. He will like this idea. (My mom used it with me when I was that age, but for clothes. She wrote down outfits on a slip of paper, and I'd pick one and that's what I wore that day. I guess it made for no arguments and also cut out the decision making time! I remember it being fun.)

So, I need ideas. I want the activities to be short, just a couple of minutes usually, maybe up to five. I'm going to include some skills he needs to work on, as well as general active things, but I also want a lot of goofy ideas as well! He will love the goofy ones.

Give me anything you can think of, especially goofy things! Here are a few of mine:

-hop on one foot 10 times

-do 15 jumping jacks

-do contact skills for tae kwon do (this is the one that will take a little longer, and he has to do them anyway, so seems to be a good way to get them done!)

-wiggle your fingers, wiggle your toes, wiggle your ears, and touch your nose (not very long, but hey it rhymes)

-gallop around the kitchen 3 times, hop like a bunny 10 times, then slither back to your seat

I might also to add something like putting away 5 things or throwing away 3 pieces of trash, even though they are less fun, but the stuff multiplies while I'm not looking.

Edited by Ellyndria

You can do a lot with hopping....

Cut out the continents on construction paper that is about 12" around, and write their names on them. Arrange them on the floor as they are located on our earth. Play the game of hopping to each continent, then start giving clues about which continent you are thinking of, have him try to guess and hop on the correct answer.:D You get the idea. You can think of tons of ideas-both educational and fun-especially using interests of his. Planets went over well here, as did anything sports related.

You can buy a nerf basketball and hoop for cheap at Walmart, also a (golf) putting green set.

Sit- ups

Push-ups

jumping rope-if too young you can tie a rope between 2 sturdy things and have him jump over it several times.

• 2 weeks later...