Menu

What are comprehensive but FUN Preschool Curriculums?

zelli21

I’ve been looking for a complete preschool curriculum that covers more than just reading. It would be nice if it could be secular as I would like to direct his religious studies separately. However, it seems most complete curriculums are religious based; I'm not sure which could be easily done secularly.

I know many people are against preschool but I’m looking for things to do in addition to random play and reading. I’m looking for something that I can use to inspire me because I’m out of ideas. Plus I need some structure (and a little quiet time).

I’m sure there are more curriculums out there than just what I have listed below. So what do you like and dislike? What is fun/creative? What did you use in combination with them?

Ideally, it will help teach size, color, shape, math, reading readiness, position/direction, time, fine/gross motor skills, and listen skills.

A Beka

Bob Jones

Brightly Beaming Resources

Hearts of Dakota

Hewitt Home School

My Father’s World

Sing, Spell, Read and Write

Sonlight

Although I prefer not to start formal academics too early and waited until Kindergarten age to start this curriculum with my son this year, a lot of people do think it would make a good preschool curriculum as well, as it's not a very academic K and is more gentle/Waldorf-inspired in the earliest years:

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/kindergarten.php

Guest IdahoMtnMom

We are new to this... and we are doing Winter Promise I'M Ready to Learn. Rather than do JOI along with it, we are supplementing with books to match each unit (purchase and library). I do hear/read it is has a lot of hands on activities and we will be picking and choosing as we go. My 4 year old will be starting Progressive Phonics and IXL Pre-K math as well... and my 3 year old will start those when she is ready.... and she is nohere near that now.

You are missing the absolute BEST - The Learning Box Preschool! Complete preschool in a box. Teaches the same things most preschool curriculums would, but the part that makes it really stand out is the crafts! EVERYTHING is included. If you need 2 inches of orange yarn on Day 2, 2 inches of yarn are included in the Day 2 baggie! It is SOOOO open and go! (I don't know about you, but crafts are something that I hate and would never have gotten done around here without this program!) Cute crafts that are truly do-able by the kids. My kids can make anything out of paper, scissors & glue due to our Learning Box experience!

If you want less formal, more reading, look at Five in a Row (for ages 4+), or Before Five in a Row.

Letter of the Week is another academic (and free!) program. It does require you to do more planning / assembly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michelle

I bought Timberdoodle Preschool at the convention and we love it. We tweeked it a little because I have a toddler as well but only switched the Science and then I added a couple of Toddler things for my little guy. I definitely recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IdahoMtnMom

We have recieved the WP and have it in hand now... It looks VERY VERY comprehensive and fun. It seems to cover math, science, arts and activities, phonics/pre-reading, bible, some social skills, nature study, and more. The 4 themes are basic ones (Farm, Pond, Zoo, and Garden) but are expanded on nicely. I am highly impressed!