Menu

Latin curriculum help for new inexperienced mom

Guest noelly

Guest noelly

Hello,

What is the best Latin curriculum to use for very motivated seventh grade triplets? They have never been exposed to any type of foreign language. Also, I need something that is simple to understand and teach.

Is there such a beast out there??

Thank you for your help. I so appreciate it.

The other new Noel;)

My son has very much enjoyed Lively Latin. It has taken us a couple years to get through the first book. I would be comfortable starting a 7th grader with that. it is easy to use and assumes no knowledge of Latin. It was written to be used in a homeschooling situation. With 7th graders, you can have them work somewhat independently, but don't roam too far, KWIM?

Ok, there are some pages for the student to draw/colour and maybe your 7th graders won't like that, so you can skip it. I can easily see my kid still enjoying that a year from now. He'd make it all comic book style, lol.

I really like First Form Latin from Memoria Press. I have been so impressed with the teacher's guide. It was truly written for the parent/teacher who has no Latin background at all. The workbook has enough practice and review and she shows you how to do recitation which we enjoy and find very helpful. And if you want them, you can get DVDs with the lessons taught on them. It's easy enough for a 5th grader to tackle and rigorous enough for a high schooler (or adult!) :D

We have really enjoyed and have learned a bunch from Visual Latin.... It is downloadable and so affordable... you can also try out the first couple of lessons for free... My daughter enjoys working on her latin lessons...she watches one old and one new lesson and then completes the worksheet. We are able to do this 3 times a week and it has worked out nicely so far.... it's worth checking out....

Visual Latin

my 2 cents ;)

My son worked through Primers A through C over the past three years. It's very easy to implement for first-time teachers. I had no previous Latin experience and have learned the course along with my son. We enjoy the varied media of the LFC courses: DVDs, audio CD for vocab, puzzles and games in the Activity Books, the history readers and the Primers. We've bought the master bundle each year, which includes all of the above.

I love First Form too - if you get the DVDs it makes it SO SO easy. I'm self-teaching with it ;).

Jennifer,

Your kids are so young and you can do FFL? My boys are 6.5 and 8.5 and we are half way done with Getting Started with Latin. I have Latin For Children A on my shelf, but somehow I feel it may not be a good fit because it looks so dry and uninteresting. We love translation here.

I am thinking of Lively Latin for my 8.5 and then do FFL. Is this a good route? My impression is Lively Latin is more independent and offers more fun and more practice to use the new words while Latin for Children has lots of new words but not enough practice.

Also can I do Lively Latin with both kids? They can each have their own page to do.

Thanks!

Jennifer,

Your kids are so young and you can do FFL?

Well, I might not have been as clear as I could have been. When I said that I am self-teaching with FFL, I meant that *I* am using FFL for MYSELF :). Hope that helps! I had two years of Latin in high school but it wasn't using a grammar-first program like First Form, so my understanding of Latin's big picture was never great, though I could translate. FFL is much better in my opinion than what I had in high school (Cambridge). Now I am really GETTING the grammar.

My oldest is using Prima Latina and is around 1/2 way done.