Menu

What is the best place to buy used books...

ABQmom

If you don't have good used book stores nearby, www.half.ebay.com is a great option. Sometimes the shipping is as much or more than the books, but if buy multiple books from the same seller you get a shipping discount. Some of the "sellers" are large networks of bookstores from all over the country, so even though the books are not located in the same physical place, half.com gives you a shipping discount since they all ship from the same "seller". Alibris is one of my favorite sellers, hippobooks and beaglebooks are good too! HTH

...The WTM For Sale Board, of course!

addall.com

homeschoolclassifieds.com

vegsource.com

amazon.com

ebay.com

half.com

Your local "friends of the library" bookstore (lots of non-thrifty sonlight users dump their books there).

Have fun,

Geo

If you buy new books at Amazon, it's usually about thirty percent off retail for hardbacks, maybe less for paperbacks...just depends on the books. If you order several new books at a time and your total is over $25.00, they'll give you free shipping.

I wasted a lot of time and energy trying to shop for paperback books "here and there." However, I've learned to carry a list around with me in case I hit yard sales, library sales, etc.

If you're in a homeschool group, a field trip group, or you know of any groups nearby, I'd ask around and see if there are any used book sales that anybody knows about. I found a neighboring town has a library branch that has a used book sale the second Sat. of every month. I'd missed it until I started asking other people!

Hope that helps!

Michele R. in TN (new to the site!)

Do you have a used bookstore nearby like Half Price Books? You can find great deals in these stores. Even if there is one a bit of a distance maybe you could make a trip there once a month or less.

Other suggestions are library book sales and yard sales. Yard sales sometimes have great books for .50 to $1.00.

Have fun searching!:)

Do you have a used bookstore nearby like Half Price Books? You can find great deals in these stores. Even if there is one a bit of a distance maybe you could make a trip there once a month or less.

Oh how I miss Half Price Books! When we lived in Texas, that's where I shopped a lot!

Thanks everyone for the great tips on this.