Menu

Would you make your dc watch this?

The Movie 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' is highly recommended in MOH from 1928 (a black and white silent film) It was originally done in french, so there are English subtitles over the french ones. Dd8th is bored out of her gore watching this. Should I make her? Its HIGHLY recommended from Linda Lacour Hobar (author of MoH)

What would you do??

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

How old is DC?

We watched Ingrid Bergman's Joan of Arc ad it was fantastic. My little watched it, too. I'm not going to say they retained as much as the olders, but they got the large picture story line. BUT, we also used many books at that point, too.

Duh, logic board, Bergman's would be good.

Edited by justamouse

She is 13

She would probably really like it then. It's not dry and boring, Bergman's performance is amazing and the script is very true to history, including her trial (even her asking to see the crucifix as they roped her) and execution (though they don't show anything, but cut away).

The Movie 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' is highly recommended in MOH from 1928 (a black and white silent film) It was originally done in french, so there are English subtitles over the french ones. Dd8th is bored out of her gore watching this. Should I make her? Its HIGHLY recommended from Linda Lacour Hobar (author of MoH)

What would you do??

What is the purpose behind watching that particular film? The following are the ones I could think of:

Learning about Joan of Arc? There have to be thousands of other ways to learn about Joan of Arc.

Learning about silent films? There are plenty of others to try from the same time period. We found some of the Charlie Chaplin ones to be fun.

Reinforcing learning French? There are other avenues.

Appreciating foreign films? There are other examples that your daughter will probably like better.

Do you consider this single, specific film to be crucial to some aspect of her education, either this year or overall? So crucial that there could be no substitute to achieve the desired goal? If not, skip it or substitute. Lots of things are highly recommended by lots of people, but that doesn't mean that our children's education would be a failure without them or if we made a substitution. I've even substituted for recommendations by SWB when what she recommended didn't fit us.;)

What is the purpose behind watching that particular film? The following are the ones I could think of:

Learning about Joan of Arc? There have to be thousands of other ways to learn about Joan of Arc.

Learning about silent films? There are plenty of others to try from the same time period. We found some of the Charlie Chaplin ones to be fun.

Reinforcing learning French? There are other avenues.

No to be honest because it was the one with the highest recommendation and the only one we can watch instantly on Netflix. We do not do the DVD option and it would be a joke to expect anything like that from our pathetic library system. Our library system does not even have the most basic of books. Its really sad. Even on ILL. I think we have the most pathetic library system in the US :glare:

How far into it was she when she started liking it?

I would say a good 20-25 minutes. Maybe 30??? But she also told me that she thinks if she would have given it a chance she probably would have before but she didn't think she was going to like it so she didn't. :001_huh: Glad she picked that up, maybe now she can be more open to different types of movies!

I started pushing her reading to genres that she is not used to and sizes of books she is not used to choosing so hopefully this will help in other areas as well! ;)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04