Menu

Need Cookware Recommendations (Please!) :)

I've held several jobs in kitchen stores. A few questions for you.

What type of stove do you have? Do you prefer non-stick or stainless? Do you tend to cook large batches or just one meal at a time?

Do you think buying a pre-done set selected for you is best, or buy as your needs dictate?

Do you need cookware that will bridge oven and stovetop? Does heavy cookware work for you, or is weight an issue?

Do you tend to cook food that requires speed/time over slower cooked recipes?

What type of stove do you have?

4 electric burners on top and electric stove below.

Do you prefer non-stick or stainless?

I really don't know what I prefer! LOL I have non-stick now and it was a SUPER nice set purchased less than 5 years ago ~ the non-stick is NOT working on our skillet anymore so right now I'm not really a fan of non-stick. I really don't like the worries that go along with non-stick, either. Never had stainless so I'm not sure the +/- ???

Do you tend to cook large batches or just one meal at a time?

I usually cook one meal at a time for our family of 5.

Do you think buying a pre-done set selected for you is best, or buy as your needs dictate?

Really either way. I *really* need a new big skillet as I can't even cook a grilled cheese in ours without burning it! I could add pieces along the way but if the price is right on a whole set I had prefer to purchase a set.

Do you need cookware that will bridge oven and stovetop?

It really doesn't matter. I have a set now that can go in the stove as well as oven and I've never really used them for oven use (never had a need). So I don't think it would matter if the set COULDN'T go in the oven.

Does heavy cookware work for you, or is weight an issue?

Heavy is fine.

Do you tend to cook food that requires speed/time over slower cooked recipes?

I like to have things cooked within an hour or so.

And THANK YOU for taking the time to help me with this!!!! :D

The number one mistake folks make with non stick is that they wash it. Never wash your non-stick in the dishwasher, etc.

You just wipe it out with a damp sponge, rinse, then wipe the surface with olive oil very lightly. This is the way very fine kitchens treat pans. Exhibition kitchens and such, they use pure stainless restaurant style, you'll see that these are coated with brown from previous use, they build up a finish just like a cast iron pan does from seasoning.

There is a bonding process in both stainless & non stick, think of it as papers laying on top of each other. Each layer of metal is there for a different reason..heat distribution, strength etc. The materials that are used in stainless are also offered in different grades or qualities.

All clad is the premier of stainless, Calpheon is the champ for non stick.

When you are out looking at sets or single buy-as-you use them, stop and look at the handle functions of the pieces.

Do you prefer silicon (cool touch?) handles? Buy a higher quality as these will, over time, dry out and crack, have the ability to hold bacteria, etc.

Stainless..a pure stainless design..where the handle is riveted to the pan, inspect this also. Are there gaps or hollow handles where water will accumulate and hold dirt? Look for solid construction with no place for water to gather and stagnate.

Non stick is best for folks who like to cook at high temperatures and speed is an issue. There are differences in the way different pans will allow "browning" or crusts...

Do you fry in oil?

You may find after some thought that your needs are a bit of both worlds..non stick and stainless. Purchasing items by "open stock" (that is, to say, one at a time) may be the way to go if you are investing some good money and not a basic "throw away in a years time" set.

A basic frying pan is nice, but consider putting a few dollars into a dinner skillet with high walls, say a 14 or 12 inch for one skillet meals. You will spend less time as the surface area is larger which leads to higher cooking time and a more even surface. I use ours every.single.day. A large pan will fit four slices of french toast, is marvelous as you can cook any things at once..a pancakes, sausage patties and maybe some hash browns all at once.

A 10 inch fryer just doesn't do that.

Lodge makes a wonderful cast iron skillet (not frying pan) which is large. It is pre-seasoned also. There is nothing that a cast iron can't do.

Do you already own some cast iron?

That is an item once bought, becomes permanent in the kitchen. Real keeper stuff.

I have a 12" cast iron skillet that I use in the oven. LOVE it. I also have a baking stone that I use ALL the time ~ I haven't used a cookie sheet or pan in the oven since I got the stone. Maybe I do just need to invest in a new skillet for the stove. I think I messed mine up frying potatoes :confused: I didn't know that about not washing non-stick pans ~ maybe that's why mine is not working right anymore? We NEVER put them in the dishwasher but we do wash them in soap & water and they usually require a good scrubbing (with something plastic-y ~ usually the plastic scraper that came with the baking stones) I haven't ever rubbed the oil in the pan though... maybe this one can be salvaged? It's not like the non-stick part is GONE, it's like it's coated with burnt on food and now everything I cook in it gets all black and burned looking. :(

Depending on what type of finish or way the non-stick was constructed makes a world of difference. One type of coating on non-stick is similar to say..nail polish. It will chip off and expose the lower layer of aluminium.

The second way, which is higher quality, is called Anodized. This is thicker, will still work when 'scratched" as the depth of it is substantial. Here is a fairly accurate article on the process of anodization. http://www.only-cookware.com/what_is_anodized_cookware.html

Many of the finer pans will carry with it an extended or lifetime warranty; this is something to think about, as well as the store from which you purchase it...their reputation for taking it back should it fail or be something you cannot use as you intended.

Here is a frugal tip for you...there used to be a very wonderful line of stainless pans made by a company called Revere Ware. If you search eBay for example, you will see them there. They are coated with copper on the bottom and have a very distinct stamp mark.

If you care to, study a bit, then float on over to your local Goodwill and hunt. These pans are no longer made due to the cost of the materials in today's terms. These are lifetime pots and pans. They clean up amazing with barkeepers friend as a method. They are about impossible to destroy and are of the highest quality, the tightest fitting lids ever. (This lid fitting business is also a huge issue in cookware, test the fit before you buy..)

I collect them as I find them, and they are out in the second hand shops for 2 or 3 dollars each.

In today's terms, this quality of pan would reach All Clad prices of 100 dollars each if they even tried to recreate them, the original metal materials were just excellent. If you happen to find one and the handle is in a whitewashed condition, simply apply some olive oil and it comes right back.

For your pan you are having trouble with, I would attempt to boil some water in it over time; it's most likely that there are fine scratches which are bonding with burnt food. If you loosen it and go over it with a toothbrush and re-coat it with standing olive oil it overnight (wipe out in the morning) you may be able to save it still.

Here is a recent eBay auction for a Revere Ware skillet for an example of value and the stamp. They are incredibly common to find in the thrift shops. http://cgi.ebay.com/VG-10-1-2-1801-REVERE-WARE-COPPER-CLAD-SKILLET-FRY-PAN-/160607416068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2564f2af04#ht_797wt_932

Edited by one*mom

I have a 12" cast iron skillet that I use in the oven. LOVE it. I also have a baking stone that I use ALL the time ~ I haven't used a cookie sheet or pan in the oven since I got the stone. Maybe I do just need to invest in a new skillet for the stove. I think I messed mine up frying potatoes :confused: I didn't know that about not washing non-stick pans ~ maybe that's why mine is not working right anymore? We NEVER put them in the dishwasher but we do wash them in soap & water and they usually require a good scrubbing (with something plastic-y ~ usually the plastic scraper that came with the baking stones) I haven't ever rubbed the oil in the pan though... maybe this one can be salvaged? It's not like the non-stick part is GONE, it's like it's coated with burnt on food and now everything I cook in it gets all black and burned looking. :(

I have a suggestion for a new frying pan, consider carbon steel (aka black steel). These are not commonly used at home in the USA (but are popular in Europe, and in this country in professional kitchens). They need to be seasoned and cared for like cast-iron, but are lighter than cast iron.

They are great for searing, and are an over-looked treasure. Mine have cast-iron handles, but can lo longer find these. There are several brands with carbon-steel handles (the one downside of these is they can get hot) including De Buyers and Matfer Bourgeat. They are an "out of the box choice" but I strongly recommend you check them out.

Bill

I like Cuisinart Classic Stainless - don't want to worry about the safety of non-stick surfaces.

As far as iron cookware is concerned - please be careful about iron intake especially for men (who don't menstruate). Dh is 50 and has too much iron (and I don't use iron cookware). Here's hoping that blood donation is enough to lower his iron.

All Clad is my favorite - we do stainless steel and don't buy non-stick finish. I also love my Le Creuset pot and pan. They're all investments, though you can often get them for a good price on amazon or other places, but so worth it, and will last pretty much forever.

I just replaced my Calphalon anodized (One, which they've discontinued) because of a 100% failure rate, including the flaking off of nonstick on the one nonstick pot I had. It was always handwashed and we had it for less than 6 years.

I replaced it with Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless. If money was no object, I would have gone with All-Clad. But Bed Bath & Beyond graciously exchanged it piece for piece at no cost to us.

Ironically, we have a deep, nonstick, anodized skillet we got as a wedding gift 11+ years ago and that one's fine. It's Proline, which was the Macy's house brand then.

I have a suggestion for a new frying pan, consider carbon steel (aka black steel). These are not commonly used at home in the USA (but are popular in Europe, and in this country in professional kitchens). They need to be seasoned and cared for like cast-iron, but are lighter than cast iron.

They are great for searing, and are an over-looked treasure. Mine have cast-iron handles, but can lo longer find these. There are several brands with carbon-steel handles (the one downside of these is they can get hot) including De Buyers and Matfer Bourgeat. They are an "out of the box choice" but I strongly recommend you check them out.

Bill

There is also a Paderno World Cuisine brand carbon-steel pan and I found a website with a great price. These are Chinese-made so I can't be sure the quality is as good as the French brands. On the other hand, carbon-steel is the same metal used in Works and the Chinese know something about Woks. half the price of French ones.

http://www.culinarydistrict.com/Products/Pans/A4171636

I have a lot of All Clad and (the superior) Bourgeat steel-lined heavy copper pans, and love cast-iron and enameled cast-iron—but I will tell you carbon-steel is an overlooked "secret" in great (relatively inexpensive) fry pans that will last a lifetime.

Bill

I was going to recommend a frying pan I have, but it doesn't have the name printed on it, so I don't know what it is. I will say though, that next time I buy a large, heavy pan like this (it has really nice thick sides and bottom) I will get one with an extra handle opposite the main fry pan handle. This pan is very heavy even when empty.