Menu

Test results in need some help!

We got the results yesterday for my 8 yr old son. I'm going to try not to make the post to long but here are the differnent test he was administered.

WCJ-ASF

WISC-IV

Children's Apperception Test

Personality Inventory(PIC-2)

Conner's Continuous Performance(CPT-2)

Conner's Parent and teacher rating scale

This is what we are concerned about and need help or feedback on how to continue to help our son in these areas!

The IQ test could not be interpreted because he demonstrated too much variability in his performance across the four indexes(verbal comprehension, perceptual reasoning, working memory, and processing speed) but they were able to get a GAI score performance of 92-104

His GAI(98) and CPI(68) differed by 30 points. Which is significant and uncommon

WMI-68 is a significant weakness when compared to his performance on other task. And uncommon among other peers his age in the sample. Therefore his WMI is considered high priority concern and suggest he has a disorder in the basic physchological process.

PSI- the variance between the scores was unusually large. Can not be expressed in a single score.

Fluid reasoning- below average

Visual Processing-within Average range

WCJ-ASF-III

Broad math calculations MILD IMPAIRMENT

Broad written language, spelling, writing fluency, writing samples, written expression-MILD IMPAIRMENT

Academic Skills-MILD IMPAIRMENT

ACADEMIC APPLICATION-MILD IMPAIRMENT

TOTAL ACHIEVEMENT- MILD IMPAIRMENT/Within normal limits

He's being diagnosed with a writing disorder which makes activites for writing difficult for him. His scores indicating proficiency at acquiring new info, processing quickly, reasoning, problem solve fell within the lower extreme.

The difference between his long term memory 108 and short term memory 68 is unusually large.

He has mild symptoms of ADHD. He is young and his behavior may change over time. In a year reassessment for this disorder is recommended! Suggestions for further assessment include utilizing a rater in addition to his mother when administering the Conner's Rating Scale as well as the Behavior Assessment for children.

How old is your child? Also, what were the recommendations that the psych gave (at the end of the WISC)? I can't tell much without looking at the WISC subscores.

I don't know what to recommend for you because I don't know how hold your son is.

Generally for ld kids I recommend Mathusee, IEW once he's at a 3rd grade and higher reading level and an O/G program for phonics/reading. All subjects must be taught where your child is and not what grade he is in.

Thanks for responding. He is 8 years old going into the 3rd grade. He was using Singapore math but I switched him to MUS Alpha. He shall finish it next month. He says he doesn't like MUS and prefers Singapore! We use ETC and OPGTR for phonics and FLL 1 for grammar but it seems like he could use some type of worksheet to go along with grammar to reinforce concepts learned. I started AAS 1 with him last month and it's going slow he seems to forget some of the phonograms he's learned. He has nice handwriting when we work on copy work but he doesn't like to copy too many sentence at once. I can list the sub-test when I get home.

Edited by calledtobehome

Thanks for responding. He is 8 years old going into the 3rd grade. He was using Singapore math but I switched him to MUS Alpha. He shall finish it next month. He says he doesn't like MUS and prefers Singapore! We use ETC and OPGTR for phonics and FLL 1 for grammar but it seems like he could use some type of worksheet to go along with grammar to reinforce concepts learned. I started AAS 1 with him last month and it's going slow he seems to forget some of the phonograms he's learned. He has nice handwriting when we work on copy work but he doesn't like to copy too many sentence at once. I can list the sub-test when I get home.

Here are just a few thoughts to get you started:

1) Since visual processing is a relative strength, curriculum that presents concepts visually will be helpful. Singapore & MUS are both good for that, though Singapore does have a fair emphasis on mental math, which is likely to be more difficult for your son with his working memory issues. Using manipulatives is always a good idea for young children, but a huge help for those who need more help with getting things into memory because of the multi-sensory aspect.

2) Long-term memory is a relative strength, but getting the concepts to stick is the trick. Lots of repetition, with shorter, more frequent bursts of exposure will help. So, when working with phonograms, review them at least twice a day- present new information in one session and do only review for one or more 5-10 minute sessions.

3) Did your tester make any recommendations for building working memory? Cogmed is a computer-based program that is getting a lot of press recently. The group that did our neuropsych assessment has recently started using Cogmed in their practice; they are not quick to jump on fad bandwagons, so I'm interested to see what their personal experience is once they've been using it for awhile. There are some lower tech activities that some of the moms here have tried, and may chime in on.