Menu

Notebooking in high school

I think there are two kinds of notebook.

One kind, the kind traditionally called "notebooking," means that the child is creating a notebook as a way of absorbing and demonstrating what he has learned. A history notebook, a literature notebook, a memory work notebook, a WTM notebook, a Cindy Rushton notebook, etc. Usually a subject notebook like this must be kept up on, in order to reap full value for review etc.

The next kind is just a portfolio of sorts, probably created by the parent, to demonstrate the student's accomplishments that year. I usually keep one of these per year, and just start by filling it with page protectors, throwing everything in there, and then eventually sifting it out into subject areas. This can be done as you go along, to minimize mess and maximize benefit, but it can also be done at the end of the year as you go through your school stuff.

Julie

I think there are two kinds of notebook.

One kind, the kind traditionally called "notebooking," means that the child is creating a notebook as a way of absorbing and demonstrating what he has learned. A history notebook, a literature notebook, a memory work notebook, a WTM notebook, a Cindy Rushton notebook, etc. Usually a subject notebook like this must be kept up on, in order to reap full value for review etc.

The next kind is just a portfolio of sorts, probably created by the parent, to demonstrate the student's accomplishments that year. I usually keep one of these per year, and just start by filling it with page protectors, throwing everything in there, and then eventually sifting it out into subject areas. This can be done as you go along, to minimize mess and maximize benefit, but it can also be done at the end of the year as you go through your school stuff.

Julie

You've given some great descriptions! I'm referring to the first type you mentioned. Dd is entering 9th and we're starting a four year cycle of history, so I thought it might be good to start one now. I would like to keep it as simple, yet purposeful, as possible in order to stay with it. In other words, I don't want her to have to do something every day, KWIM?

I would be interested in some ideas for other subjects as well. Are there any others out there that do this kind?

Heart of Wisdom is what got me into notebooking for my older dd's high school: http://heartofwisdom.com/homeschoollinks/craeting-a-timeline-book/

Beautiful Feet also has some notebooking-type ideas. Samples from their guides: http://www.bfbooks.com/Info-FAQ/Sample-Pages

Konos had a bit mixed into their options.

Barb Shelton had a bit (Form-U-La author). Here's one of her ideas for phy ed notebooking: http://www.homeschooloasis.com/torys_basketball_notebook_page.htm

Cindy Rushton, the self-proclaimed Binder Queen, has lots of ideas - this page shows quite a few: http://cindyrushton.com/our-e-store/everything-you-need-to-begin-notebooking-super-set/

Julie

• 3 weeks later...
I am going to continue notebooking into High School. I am doing History Scholar and Geo Scribe. I plan on using a sketchbook for Biology and he can paste any notebook and lab pages in there.

I bought History Scholar through CurrClick. Do you plan on having your child do every page in the set of just some of them?

I like the sketchbook idea for Biology. Dd is doing Integrated Chemistry & Physics this year, but I'll have to remember that for next year.

I bought History Scholar through CurrClick. Do you plan on having your child do every page in the set of just some of them?

I like the sketchbook idea for Biology. Dd is doing Integrated Chemistry & Physics this year, but I'll have to remember that for next year.

When my dd was notebooking in high school, I don't think I would have used pre-made pages (except for basic timeline) because that would take away the true flavor of creating a notebook page and letting the material dictate the form. Not only would the info on the page depend on what we had learned or what she had enjoyed, but the format of the page would depend on what she saw in the material -- it might be a page of quotes, or maps, or a description of events.

When my ds notebooked in the younger years, he wouldn't have wanted premade forms because he did everything on the computer and the page would have felt like torture. He liked finding google images and playing with fonts & formats.

The Heart of Wisdom link I posted is more what we did. Just one way of looking at "notebooking,"

Julie

My son has Aspergers. Getting him to write has been a struggle. Giving him a nifty page helps get him going. I don't think I will make him do them all. I will do some of those, some Geo Scribe, and some typing smallish reports. I actually have not got to the section in TWTM for HOAW. So, I need to go over that part as soon as HOAW gets here. I am only using it as a history credit. He is doing OM 9 for Lit. I am considering three History Channel films and A book on using movies for History, as well. So, I need to figure out if I will have him write some papers or what. I might have him do some sort of presentation this year. He hasn't done anything like that.

It sounds better in my head:tongue_smilie:

• 1 year later...
My son has Aspergers. Getting him to write has been a struggle. Giving him a nifty page helps get him going. I don't think I will make him do them all. . . .

My son's an Aspie too. The pretty frames on some pages really help him. Pretty notebooking paper has made him more enthusiastic about practicing handwriting too. (He does need to be able to sign his name after all.) He usually prefers to do his own thing, but this is one area where he really likes someone else thinking up page ideas.