Menu

Language Development questions??

Ok I just got off the phone with my dd8 speech teacher. My DD8 test 6months ago at 4yrs and 1month for language development. This could possibly be a problem hindering her ability to read. So how do I improve it? The teacher is going to do more teaching. But I doubt she's at level.

Ok I just got off the phone with my dd8 speech teacher. My DD8 test 6months ago at 4yrs and 1month for language development. This could possibly be a problem hindering her ability to read. So how do I improve it?You mentioned before about verbal apraxia. What else did the testing reveal? Is there an auditory processing problem as well for example. My dtr has a severe language impairment.She has CAPD and needed vision therapy. Currently she struggles with working memory, word retrieval, expressive language. She is dyspraxic. Besides private and public school speech therapy I used the following programs somewhat in the order given:

Developing the Early Learner series (helps build auditory/motor and visual skills)

Abecedarian Level A..

Ot, BrainGym and The Listening Program (still get OT)

Earobics & 100 EZ lessons (helped with blending)

LiPs and the exercises from Dr. Rosner's book Helping your child overcome learning disabilites. Language Lessons Grade 1 (Abeka)

I See Sam Readers with Apple and Pears spelling Primary Language Lessons (Emma Serl)

Throughout all these years she listened to me read to her daily, she had books on tape, listened to books on the computer. Speech therapists gave exercises with grammar usage, preposition use, possessive etc. Outside help was crucial The teacher is going to do more Who is her teacher? But I doubt she's at level.The teacher or the student?

For a number of years I have used the book " Listen my Children and You shall hear" by Betty Lou Kratoville. Also retelling, narrations etc every week as Charlotte Mason suggests. Hope you get the help you need. My dtr is currrently working 2 1/2 grade levels behind, but she is making progress.

Developing the Early Learner series (helps build auditory/motor and visual skills)

Abecedarian Level A..

Ot, BrainGym and The Listening Program (still get OT)

Earobics & 100 EZ lessons (helped with blending)

LiPs and the exercises from Dr. Rosner's book Helping your child overcome learning disabilites. Language Lessons Grade 1 (Abeka)

I See Sam Readers with Apple and Pears spelling Primary Language Lessons (Emma Serl)

Throughout all these years she listened to me read to her daily, she had books on tape, listened to books on the computer. Speech therapists gave exercises with grammar usage, preposition use, possessive etc. Outside help was crucial

Thank you for this list. There are things on this list that I believe will help my own DD.

OP, I also wonder about the diagnosis. Even if it is right though, sometimes it takes the work of many outside profesionals coming at it with different points of view before you find the right combination of the right therapies and curriculums that will work with your child. That being said, you can only begin where your child is right now. If you are wanting her to learn how to do something, and test scores show she is at a 4 yo old level, then you must teach her at a 4 year old level. You can't begin above that because she isn't ready for it.