Menu

Lyme Disease tests

I have been searching the lists but apparently not doing it right.... We have a friend that I believe has Lyme Disease. He has all the symptoms and markers except for the rash. His doctors are stumped and even though he has been sick for a good month now they are reluctant to test. Which tests does he need to ask for? All I can remember is that some are not as reliable as others.

Thanks so much!

I have been searching the lists but apparently not doing it right.... We have a friend that I believe has Lyme Disease. He has all the symptoms and markers except for the rash. His doctors are stumped and even though he has been sick for a good month now they are reluctant to test. Which tests does he need to ask for? All I can remember is that some are not as reliable as others.

Thanks so much!

A Western Blot test is the most reliable, and will check for other tick borne infections. He should ask to see his results, because if the test is done at the wrong time, it will show "Lyme Exposure", but not an active Lyme...even though you could be sick as a dog from it. If your friend shows bands...and it comes back as Lyme Exposed, I would insist on a course of 28 days of Doxycycline.

Good luck! Lyme is a tricky bugger.

Faithe